Consumer unit area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have viewed a house we are keen on and i was just hoping someone could give a opinion on the CU and wiring just going by this photo?

The gubbins on the left is to do with the solar panels

I believe its original wiring and the house was built in the mid 70`s

The owner has done things like plug a flex from one plug socket to a surface mounted double plug to get an extra socket so i am expecting some electrical issues?

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_145850829.jpg
    IMG_20160423_145850829.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_20160423_150001073.jpg
    IMG_20160423_150001073.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 328
Sponsored Links
Perfectly normal for its time and the addition looks OK to me - its nothing more sinister than an extension socket.

The fusebox is the original and obviously does not meet the requirements of 2016, but regulations are not retrospective.
If you really want to know the actual state of the installation, you would need to get an electrician to do an Electrical Installation Condition Report.

Its impossible to judge from a couple of photos.

Sponsored Links
[QUOTE="realaledrinker, post: 3637835, member: 219491"

The owner has done things like plug a flex from one plug socket to a surface mounted double plug to get an extra socket so i am expecting some electrical issues?[/QUOTE]

No, it's a surface mounted double SOCKET, thankfully.

There appears to be a 45A circuit on the board.

If the main switch is rated only to 60A, there is a potential for overloading the main switch.

If the house is def. mid-70's, then the lighting should have cpc's.

If in doubt about the installation, as TTC suggests, commission an EICR. Make your offer subject to a reduction of the asking price based on any work needed to make the installation safe (if indeed the EICR picks up any dangerous defects).

If the main switch is rated only to 60A, there is a potential for overloading the main switch.
Maybe feeding that RCD in the corner with the chunky (10mm²?) cable running off in the corner to somewhere (shower?)

I'm wondering why there are two cables feeding in to the RCD…….
Maybe could do with some attention, but not major.

The owner has done things like plug a flex from one plug socket to a surface mounted double plug to...

There's no such thing as a plug socket, you have plugs that are "plugged" into things called sockets. Plug OR Socket.

A surface mounted double plug with live pins exposed would be a very worrying thing indeed, thankfully you just have a surface mounted double socket.

Even with a 100A flavoured one the fuse holder should be keyed so it only fits in the slot next to the main switch.

I'm wondering why there are two cables feeding in to the RCD…….
Maybe could do with some attention, but not major.

Could it be that the chunky T&E is a 16mm incomer fed from a switch fuse at the meter and the two cables at the bottom are tails feeding the Wylex?

The owner has done things like plug a flex from one plug socket to a surface mounted double plug to...

There's no such thing as a plug socket, you have plugs that are "plugged" into things called sockets. Plug OR Socket.

A surface mounted double plug with live pins exposed would be a very worrying thing indeed, thankfully you just have a surface mounted double socket.

Well, at least he didn't mention plug tops....

Could it be that the chunky T&E is a 16mm incomer fed from a switch fuse at the meter and the two cables at the bottom are tails feeding the Wylex?
Very unlikely. The nice big hole bored in the bottom of the Wylex, and RCD are later add-ons.
Would need a better look inside the Wylex etc to confirm. But I'll bet the OP isn't in a position for another visit.

Very unlikely. The nice big hole bored in the bottom of the Wylex, and RCD are later add-ons.
Would need a better look inside the Wylex etc to confirm. But I'll bet the OP isn't in a position for another visit.

Nope, i am many miles away so will have to make a judgement and have it all checked out from afar

I have seen plug top, plug socket and (watch out for Winston) transformer all used by manufacturers and wholesalers in my career.

I notice 'transformer' seems to be treated leniently here. Why not the other two?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back