Cost of food/a meal

Sponsored Links
I have an idea for a pasta product containing cat meat.

I have called it Not Poodle.

I have never bought them as a matter of regularity, but I've bought a few Pot Noodle type things over recent weeks, just as an alternative quick snack, alongside the other things I keep for a quick snack. I keep a few fresh oven bottom cakes in the freezer, individually bagged - an hour out of the freezer and they are ready for use. Cheese and pickle, beef spread, angus beef burgers, 'mucky dripping' with a bit of salt. I've not had the latter since I was a young 'an, I'd forgotten how just how tasty it was.

Sponsored Links
My fave thing to do when I ate meat was to run a bap/ barm/ insert local name here round the chicken roasting pan after evicting the just cooked bird.

Very tasty.

We lived, and loved, on dripping butties as kids. When I was much older, probably 40's or even early 50's, I tried one after roasting a joint of beef and letting the juices solidify. 2 rounds of bread, layer of dripping, loads of salt, took a bite and nearly threw up.
It was not as I remembered it from childhood!

+1 for slow cookers.
Worth buying a little book of recipes for them.
Fill the thing, then use ziploc bags and freeze meal sized portions.

Nigella's right about the spring onions, they hold up better and come out tasting sweet.

We lived, and loved, on dripping butties as kids. When I was much older, probably 40's or even early 50's, I tried one after roasting a joint of beef and letting the juices solidify. 2 rounds of bread, layer of dripping, loads of salt, took a bite and nearly threw up.
It was not as I remembered it from childhood!

It can be sickly if you put too much on. I get some occasionally, various places sell it, most commonly butchers and in a little pot, with the dark jelly layered at the bottom. So it needs to be well stirred before use.

Couple of times a year I make a huge pot of curry sauce and freeze it in bags of about a litre. Usually get about 23-24 bags out of it. I can make a curry from it in 20 minutes but it's got the taste of a curry that's been cooking on the stove for hours. Hmmn, I Might put one on for this evening?

I do soups and sauces and freeze them in ice cube trays.

Quicker to defrost.

Oh f#kkin deary me.

Have most of you totally forgotten what real food tastes like???

We had a salad tonight. EVERYTHING was grown by me on the allotment. Spuds, mint, runner beans, French beans, tomatoes, beetroot, lettuce, radish and cucumber. Cost me about £400 and a couple of hundred hours of my time so far but it’s a hobby. Not many hobbies are totally free.

2D413DE3-75CE-4393-8B16-E05098F2F46D.jpeg

I have tbh and say I don't really cook in the true sense of the word. Not sure if that's because I live on my own so don't really have the motivation, however I'm sure plenty single people do cook for themselves!

The closest I get is maybe frying a steak for myself, putting some potatoes on the boil and steaming some veg. However I wouldn't for example make something like a curry or lasagne from scratch.

Sponsored Links
Back