ditching overtime?

is it bad to ditch optional overtime if you're ill?

• yes, go in you wuss, it's only man flu..

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • no, why work when you're bad and don't HAVE to.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ditching work already? you'll never keep a job at that rate..

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my second week in a new job.
asked them if they want me in saturday and they said "you can if you want".. please note the very specific wording of question and answer..

now my dilema..

I'm feeling crap right now, watery eyes, ache all over, alternating runny / bunged up nose.. or as generally known... "man flu"... :)

if I still feel like this in the morning should I ditch the overtime in favour of a good rest and recoup ready for monday?

it's only my second week and I don't want to "let them down" already, but they did say "if you want" so it's not like they said "yes, if you don't come in you're fired"...

if I'm feeling better then I will definitely go in....

Sponsored Links
are you sure that you have not been drinking too much like your mate....

who has just admitted that he is ****ed....

is sorry the hardest word..... :LOL: :LOL:

doubt it with you two....

your better to go in with a broken leg and be sent home then they know your not taking advantage ;)
then at a later date when you have a hangover you will get away with it ;)

are you sure that you have not been drinking too much like your mate....

who has just admitted that he is p****d....

is sorry the hardest word..... :LOL: :LOL:

doubt it with you two....

aaand.......... ignore...... ah that's better... bit more quiet...
maybe in time I'll take you off ignore like I did recently with Joe90..

Sponsored Links
When they asked you, you could have said " Sorry I already have something planned tomorrow. " Or I didn't realise there was any overtime this weekend, The wife has already got me working 24hrs a day over the weekend."
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Personally, I don't mind working overtime as long as I get at least a days notice. I realise that some companies don't look further ahead than a couple of hours these days, but there's no excuse really. Whoever plans production etc should be sacked or given a warning at least.

I did work at one place where the sales staff used to promise customers the Earth. They'd phone up on a Thursday asking for stuff to be delivered the following Monday. (sales staff knowing that it was impossible to deliver, would still say " No Problem.")
Then panic......... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

EDIT, just noticed that you had asked them!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . Why make a rod for your own back Coljack??.

Just do a reasonable amount of overtime when your asked. ;) ;) ;) ;)

So you've had 18mths off work as a holiday courtesy of the taxpayer, 2 weeks back at work and your shirking already. Don't forget you are on probation and can be let go easily with no repurcussions legally.

You are giving your boss the impression you are lazy and a sicknote. "Man flu" is no excuse for a no-show, many ppl go to work with far, far worse injuries and illness's without moaning.

Get a grip ffs!

Depends doesn't it.

How did you leave it? They say "It's up to you"

Did you say, "Ok i'll be there!" ? in which case you are a no show because they may have planned for you to be there.

Or did they leave it in the 'if you turn up, you turn up' kind of way. I am not sure what business you are in but the later situation rarely happens.

It does depend on the circumstances, but very rarely would it be a case of it's up to you.
The object of overtime, is something needs to be done outside of normal working hours or something needs doing sharpish, is it not?
But if I was a new start, I would drag myself out of my sick bed and make it in, but if my sickness was so that it was impossible or unwise to do so.
I would make sure I had made contact with, either a manager or supervisor and anyone I had arrange to work with that day and inform them, even if it was a Saturday.

my second week in a new job.
asked them if they want me in saturday and they said "you can if you want".. please note the very specific wording of question and answer..

Sounds as if, if you don't turn up they will not be bothered at all.

If your that rough why where you not in your bed instead of playing on the internet at midnight

Better posting on here than looking @ pron :idea: And he gets abused for free here :LOL: - Has to pay Ms. Whiplash

might have expected something like that from the likes of DM :rolleyes: .. that's why I added the 3rd option..
it is the weekend and outside of normal working hours so it's not like I was planning to ditch a monday after a heavy weekend..

as it happens, I went in anyway.
the bosses weren't there anyway and one of the other workers opened up..

glad I did too.. the boss buys the butties on weekends.. result...!!! :)

it was left open ended, hence the question.. nothing was set in stone and had they said "yes, we need you in on saturday" then I wouldn't have given it a second thought and gone in anyway, but since it was left open and optional it gave rise to the question..

They are busy at the moment but not so much that the bosses couldn't take the weekend off.
as it happens the job I was on is not needed until tuesday morning so I had time to finish it monday if needs be, and having finished it at 13:00 today I had to go home early as they didn't leave any instructions on what job was next..

Namsag, who says that I don't have my laptop on my lap while in bed..?

So you worked a half days overtime, you're a true hero. :rolleyes:

The way I see it you owe the taxpayer several years of overtime so no more lame excuses, pay back into the system that you have milked so for long. You owe the hard working and honest taxpayer many thousands of pounds!

Selfish ColJack very selfish.
There are plenty of people who are out of work who will take anything, even a part-time job on a Saturday just to get them a foothold out of the mire of unemployment. And you volunteer to work all the hours god sends just to line your own pockets, at the expense of others. I'm sickened :mad:

And you volunteer to work all the hours god sends just to line your own pockets, at the expense of others. I'm sickened

This is why English workers don't get jobs.
We employ foreigners who work six days a week. (seven if we wanted)
So more productivity for less wages. Its a no brainer. These guys don't run off to football matches on saturday but instead are grafting on the building site.

Sponsored Links
Back