Djokovic

There are no official numbers, of people dying of Omicron, that I can find. You?
Only numbers of people dying who happen to have omicron, which is the same proportion of people who are dying, that there are in the population which isn't dying.
So apparently omicron is making no difference
ah the "no excess deaths" argument

what are you comparing the figures with?

Sponsored Links
The only chance of him winning anything this year is if Serbia hastily puts together a Serbian Open

No need to do it hastily, it's already booked in at the Novak Tennis Centre. Apr 18 – Apr 24 this year.

What would be really funny is if they decide to only allow vaccinated players.

I don't know how to make it plainer.
If half the population had covid, then half the dying would have covid. Doesn't mean they died of covid.
I hope this is a mistype or something.

If half the population have covid, that's about 33million.

The mortality rate of covid has gone down to about 1% in the UK (Mexico has a rate of 6.9% as an aside), so that would be 330000 deaths in the UK from covid. I would rather not not see 330000 excess deaths. We are currently at about 138000 excess deaths.

Of course, we are looking at a lower confirmed cases rate. And the deaths recorded are not so haphazard as you would assume.

Last edited:
We have various stats, include percentage of people with omicron, total numbers in hospital, total numbers dying with covid.

Now, you could claim that the latest variant of covid is not killing people. But, ignoring the science for a moment, why? How do you benefit from this claim?
I have no ulterior motive, which is what too many trolls on this forum try to accuse.

If you asked Joe Public how many are dying of Omicron, they'd say "On telly last might it was 200" or whatevere the figure was.
It looks to me like the figure could be 0. Or a small proportion of the 200. But nobody's mentioning that. I'd like to know; vaxxed or not, are people dying?

Sponsored Links
ah the "no excess deaths" argument

what are you comparing the figures with?

Prior to omicron. August/September say. No change in deaths with covid, even though we've had millions infected and it's been long enough to show. Everyone suspected of covid, or in hospital, IS getting tested, though as I said there could be some dying as a result of hospital strain. Look at delta - there was a coincidental rise in EDs.

I hope this is a mistype or something.

If half the population have covid, that's about 33million.

The mortality rate of covid has gone down to about 1% in the UK (Mexico has a rate of 6.9% as an aside), so that would be 330000 deaths in the UK from covid. I would rather not not see 330000 excess deaths. We are currently at about 138000 excess deaths.

Of course, we are looking at a lower confirmed cases rate. And the deaths recorded are not so haphazard as you would assume.

I said "IF" as an illustration. Half currently, with omicron. You would expect the same percentage in people dying generally, if covid made no difference.

The mortality rate of omicron is certainly nothing like 1% - that's the point.
The deaths recorded to do NOT CLAIM to say which die OF covid.
Because the community number is so much higher than for delta, you should expect to see a lot of people dying with omi. If Omi was causing deaths, that number would be disproportionately higher than the % in the general pop.

But it isn't. There's no real sign that omicron is killing anyone much.

57742.jpg

Death certificates do.
Figures in the news DON'T.

Death certificate details lead to "deaths from covid" if it's the underlying cause; and "deaths involving covid", wherever it's mentioned at all such as "and covid19". The standards for that are set out by the WHO.

But:
the data published on the GOV.UK website are "counts of all causes of death where a positive test for COVID-19 has been confirmed" (28 days). [ONS]
It's those which the News spits at us.:mad:. PHE/UKHSA does it differently...
Everyone taken in to hospital is tested, PMs are tested. Some deaths are recorded as involving covid even where there was no test or no +ve result.

One can look at old death certs for percentages of with/of /involving covid out of all deaths, but delta was different. (BBC's mistake, I think. )

In London (leading the UK) cases peaked about 20/12, Hosp cases peaked about 31/12.
We may have a week or so to go even in London before we see reported deaths peak. IF omicron is as deadly as reported by some from elsewhere, it should be a sizeable spike, unless boosters really killed it.

This set is interesting - deaths announced daily in hospital, where you'd expect the not-just-with covid deaths to occur, I'd have thought:
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

You have to add up the Daily figures as far as I can see (it's late) because the weekly figures are totals since forever.
The figures aren't all announced on the right day, ( ie for the 13th they may be reported over the next few days)but the numbers look small.

My mind is often boggled by just how much time & effort goes into some of the responses here.

It really does not matter - no system of recording is going to be 100% accurate all the time. What is important is that we report consistently so that we can see trends, and impacts of changes.

A few weeks ago we were down to double figures for deaths within 4 weeks of a +ve test. Now we are in triple figures.

It's got worse. That is all you need to know.

If I wanted to travel to your beloved Iceland as a fully vaccinated UK resident, how far would I have to bend over?

How about you as an unvaccinated one?
Surprise surprise, no answer from @ellal on that one, just the usual reply from swervy McSwerve. :LOL::LOL:

Surprise surprise, no answer from @ellal on that one, just the usual reply from swervy McSwerve
Aww bless...

The spiv still doesn't understand the reality of what it voted for...

But hey, it can't get it's head out of it's arse let alone think for itself :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back