Dogs running free in Cemetery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this is a recent occurrence but the last few times I have been to the cemetery dog owners have let their dogs just run wild, doing their business on gravestones.

Has anyone else witnessed this or just an?isolated incident?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back in Liverpool if your dog was off the lead you got fined. Also if your dog fouled anywhere you had to pick it up. They had constant patrols during the day but of a night the druggies used to congregate in there.

As a dog owner and one that sometimes walks them in a cemetery, I have to say that I am disappointed with the owners doing this.
Unfortunately, there are many dog owners who are irresponsible (as there are with everything else) and they will spoil it for other dog owners.

It seems that your course of action would be to contact the cemetery keepers with regard to some notices about keeping dogs on leads, which will no doubt be ignored prompting a complete ban on dogs. That too will be ignored if there is no one to enforce it.

What you probably don't want to do is get into a confrontation with them as they probably don't give a monkeys about it and will be abusive etc.

Is it beyond your intelligence to engage brain and think how you would feel if a dog was sh,,tin on your mother’s grave????
Actually, I could hear my mum shouting out 'charming!' and laughing like a drain if a dog did that on her grave. She loved dogs, more than anything.

I know I'd much rather walk a dog through some woods, or in a large, open field playing a game of ball any day. I'd rather leave those people visiting graves in peace and allow them privacy too. Do graveyards even have dog mess dustbins?

The authorities would require a bylaw (Public Spaces Protection Order) to force dog owners to use a lead, otherwise they only have The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 definition of out of control to go on. Dog poop is covered by the Litter (Animal Droppings) Order 1991 and to some degree the Environmental Protection Act (1990).

Go on your local council's website it might list the byelaws, or if no info speak to your local councillor.

Many councillors have dogs on lead orders in cemeteries

Blup

Sponsored Links
Back