Electric bikes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got one? I’m thinking of getting a kit to convert my bike to electric power - has anyone done this?

Sponsored Links
Someone has to say it...

"On yer bike"!

:)

Seriously though, get a bespoke model not a conversion kit...

We bought two Carreras from Halfords on a special offer last year and they are really good apart from mine breaking down after 18 months, but It was under warranty for parts only, Halfords fitted new motor & rear wheel assembly and waived the labour charge, for cheap bikes they are good, after chatting to other ebikers Bosch crank motors seem to be the favoured type, probably more than double what we paid

Sponsored Links
Don’t bother converting an existing bike. Lots and lots available used as people buy them and never use them.

The four big names to look out for when chosing an e powered bike

Yamaha
Bosch
Brose
Shimano

All v close in performance and features, Brose possibly quieter marginally. As mentioned avoid the ebike conversion kits if possible. But if you do then as long as you're mechanical/electrical minded shouldn't be too much effort, there's just the safety factor does it stop properly etc as you're merging epower with a normal bike. Ive been tempted to build my own downhill 4000w ebike but im out of space for any more projects as im rebuilding a sit on mower quad bike and some cars!

Ive had escooters for a while, the etwow the xioam m365 etc they're great for commuting etc, but beware of battery life and battery failing, cost alot to replace.

Ebikes are great though with pedal assist etc, they give you so much more range and fun at the same time staying fit, thats gotta be good.

Back