Bike and kayak thread

Sponsored Links
a bit of 1980s steel here - raised bars for long days on the road (and my knackered back)
x1000469.jpg

Steels Real

Some more 80s steel here too. Thought I would post a pic of my old banger for a laugh. Bought it in 1990 when it was about 3 or 4 years old. Unfortunately my mate who owned it before didn't like the 'gay' colour so painted it with aerosols from Halfords. Under the 'paint job' its a British Eagle MTB with ye olde 18 speed Shimano Uniglide gears and oval Biopace chainrings.

Bike may be a size or two small for me hence well extended seat tube, but it's a great ride. Like the steel frame for two reasons; first it gives unlike stiff ali or c/fibre so more comfortable and secondly I don't like really long rides so prefer a heavy bike to make me work more so that I can get same benefit from shorter rides that I would get on longer rides on a modern bike that weighs about the same as an After Eight mint. Bike gets lots of regular maintenance and rarely lets me down. Do fair amount of riding at night to pubs (remember those?) hence the old lights - front one now converted to LED bulb.

I miss my old Renolds 531 frame

It's a Reynolds frame on my bike. Quality!

Last edited:
Got a Giant Talon 0 29er with dropper post. Upgraded the Disc's to 200mm and
Shimano XT M8000 I-Spec II Disc Brakes. Been on a few old railway lines where bridges gone so the dropper post handy for steep descents.

Rear rack for my
Altura Arran 2 46 Panniers ( very nice bags. )

Just dropped it down from 30 to 10 speed with a
Race Face Narrow Wide MTB Single Chainring but busy with garden so not had chance to give it a good run out.

Next is lighter rims and bars.
Main.jpg

Sponsored Links
As a child, my wife and her sister used to sit on this Henry Moore when it was in the town centre when they lived in Harlow. Its in the town hall now.

D365461B-A50F-427C-8EEE-6BBE38A86033.jpeg

Has anyone got a App or a website to plane off road routes
Try cyclinguk or sustrans....or crazyguyonabike....covers just about the whole planet(land of course,for the pedantic,,andnot Antartica,, for EFL)

Try cyclinguk or sustrans....or crazyguyonabike....covers just about the whole planet(land of course,for the pedantic,,andnot Antartica,, for EFL)

EFL would never pick you up on something like that. He's got far better things to do... Like pick up on my grammar

:sneaky:

Has anyone got a App or a website to plane off road routes
the two I use
https://www.plotaroute.com/routeplanner
is good for plotting along paths etc

but my favourite by a long way is
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php
It has the benefit of a traditional OS map which I find very useful
it's calculation of ascent is the most accurate I have found
and for plotting route maps it is good at following tarmac roads and is less likely to send you down unsuitable paths

Sponsored Links
Back