Bike and kayak thread

Sponsored Links
It does have a bell in that shot, just hard to see, I use it too unlike many of the muppets out there, I don't do wet weather riding. Lights too now, I have to keep the bike indoors atm and it's way too much hassle to dry after a ride when wet.

Is it really a belt drive, it looks like a chain to my eyes?

Of course it really is! :)

IMAG2802.jpg

Sponsored Links
My younger son has a bit of a pocket money business buying and selling old bikes. This one was £13 with a child seat, which he's already sold for a tenner.
It should go for around £60-75
s-l1600.jpg

Nice looking bike. I am after one as well. What make and model is that?

I am after a bike - something minimalist - I don't like breakl cables or gear cables- make the bike look ugly.
It's a Cube Hyde Pro, I like the minimalist look too, a hub gear and belt drive also make for a completly silent ride. It doesn't look quite as minimalist now though with all the usual paraphernalia required for a day ride though I guess you could stick all that crap in a backpack to avoid that. It's weird, they hid some of the cables inside the frame but others are outside held in place with tie wraps and look like an afterthought.

I love hub gears, the ability to change gears when stationary is great, I'm expecting that and the belt drive should see minimal if any maintenance in those departments for a few years. But there are a few disadvantages ro belts and hub gears too. All fine if you don't care about average speeds and things, this bike is not fast.

Last edited:
It's a Cube Hyde, I like the minimalist look too, a hub gear and belt drive also make for a completly silent ride. It doesn't look quite as minimalist now though with all the usual paraphernalia required for a day ride though I guess you could stick all that crap in a backpack to avoid that. It's weird, they hid some of the cables inside the frame but others are outside held in place with tie wraps and look like an afterthought.

I love hub gears, the ability to change gears when stationary is great, I'm expecting that and the belt drive should see minimal if any maintenance in those departments for a few years. But there are a few disadvantages ro belts and hub gears too. All fine if you don't care about average speeds and things.

Was it expensive Freddie

a bit of 1980s steel here - raised bars for long days on the road (and my knackered back)
x1000469.jpg

Steels Real

a bit of 1980s steel here - raised bars for long days on the road (and my knackered back)
x1000469.jpg

Steels Real
I miss my old Renolds 531 frame with shifters on the down tube. I was doing the dunwich dynamo and about 10 miles from the end something went wrong and the rear derailleur decided it liked one particular bit of chain a bit too much and followed it into my rear wheel. The majority of the rear wheel locks up (some spokes make a dash for the hills) and I start going slightly sideways. The rear derailleur is now hanging off, my rear tire is just about intact and I had two hours to make it to the end so I didn't miss my lift home.

A couple of nice guys I'd met on the ride helped me convert the bike into a single speed and despite a few more snapped chain incidents I finish the ride. The hills weren't fun.

The frame was still ok but most other bits were too knackered to continue and I switched to a cheap modern road bike. Much easier to ride with those new fangled gears, but lacked the sense of style.

Last edited:
4349680656_f06bc0b47d_b.jpg

a road trip across the west coast (before we had kids)
4322436673_ea5f825c09.jpg

and another pre-kids road trip different west coast.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back