EU holidays still on the amber list.

My point was that many of the European countries that are more than happy to stop buying and selling from us are now whinging that they are missing the British tourist trade and their luvvly jubbly money. Can’t have it both ways or so I’ve been told.

Sponsored Links
Wrong , Brexit has added to the decline in tourism as well as decimating fishing and wrecking import/export to EU nations.

How has it? There has been heavy restrictions stopping most people being able to leave the country since brexit happened cos of covid.

An awful lot of people have decided not to travel abroad because of covid and the not knowing when the rules are going to change as many have been caught out by last minute changes to travel restrictions and quarantine periods.

there isn't any evidence to back your statement. Unless you look at the first 3 months of 2020 when people tend not to go on holiday anyway....

This post in regards to tourism, not fishing and import exports.

I can concur that imports and exports are a ruddy nightmare at the moment

...more than happy to stop buying and selling from us...

no sign of evidence to support Mottie's claim.

I suppose he must be referring to the fact that UK chose to give up its membership of the Single Market.

Moaning Brexers, again.

Calm down captain nemesis,
You're talking to me. not Captain Nemesis, although I'm flattered that you confuse the two of us. He's obviously extremely intelligent and highly articulate.
Unfortunately you are easily confused. You asked who first mentioned Brexit when it was abundantly clear that Mottie first implied a connection between Brexit and European tourism.

I was making a statement saying that brexit hasn't affected tourism, noseall insinuated that it had. Nothing strawman about that.
Noseall did not make any statement claiming that Brexit had affected tourism. In fact Mottie was the first to imply that it had a relevance.
So you're inventing excuses to explain your strawman argument.

I wasn't arguing either for or against brexit, not on motties particular post.
No-one suggested you had. Is this yet another strawman argument?

In fact I've agreed that it is not the EU stating such things, it is only 2 individuals have made statements in the press. One is a government official, one the mayor of a town that doesn't have a great reputation anyway.
Not quite correct.
I notice that you edited your comment of last night after Captain Nemesis highlighted the obvious flaw in Mottie's comment.
But instead of correcting Mottie, or agreeing with Captain Nemesis that his critique was justified, you kind of supported Mottie's comment by presenting a few articles, although i have no idea what your comment stated prior to your editing.

On this occasion I am not in agreement with Mottie.
But only now you state that.

However the difference between the likes of me and Mottie and yourself and others on here like you is that we dont mind opinions differing to each other. We don't get all twisted up in Knott's about it, we are respectful to others.
The difference is that you are content to not voice a disagreement with an opinion that is so obviously wrong, and you even offer some supporting evidence, rather than being truthful.
You then try to cover your acts and omissions with strawman arguments.

Sponsored Links
My point was that many of the European countries that are more than happy to stop buying and selling from us are now whinging that they are missing the British tourist trade and their luvvly jubbly money. Can’t have it both ways or so I’ve been told.
As sxturbo mentioned, he can only find a couple of incidences.
And the same countries have not expressed any wish to stop trading with UK.
That is just your fertile imagination.
I think your problem is that you cannot distinguish between EU and EU member states.
The EU operates out of Brussels, the member states operate out of their own individual capital cities.

How has it? There has been heavy restrictions stopping most people being able to leave the country since brexit happened cos of covid.
And those Covid restrictions and Brexit are relevant and relate, although may be not on a grand scale.
Citizens of individual countries can enter those countries. E.g. UK citizens can enter UK, and no-one can deny them entry, for whatever reason.
Similarly, EU citizens (and permit holders) can enter EU (all 27 member states) and currently no-one is denying any permission to enter those (27) countries.
Dual nationals can enter either geographical area at will, etc.

The same applies with the CTA, Irish, NI and UK nationals can travel freely between areas.

The same applies to the Channel Islands, etc.

LOL Who said they have stopped selling to us? Suddenly BMW's aren't around any more or several other similar things. Fresh fruit and veg etc - shops are now empty. Clearly I didn't have a couple of things arrive from Germany last week. No choice as can't buy them here.

Us selling to them - you by the sound of it voted as you probably did as tarrifs aren't a problem as we can always sell under WTO rules so those don't matter.

You might have voted on the basis that we would automatically retain EU acceptable food standards and a number of other things. That was not part of the deal. It's a tricky area as we would have to always agree to meet them even if they changed and as out will have no influence on what those changes are. That aspect applies to all sorts of things. Our lot wont accept it :ROFLMAO: taking back control and it looks like they want to find cheaper food anyway from countries that probably don't have EU approval. The EU food is traceable.

Tourism. Lots of countries will see less of that - even the UK. It's reckoned to be worth about 100billion here in terms of GDP. Blame covid. Nothing to do with the EU.

Imports a problem ?? Not really in terms of many of things people buy which are imports. There has been some shortage of some things due to covid. Production stopped due to it. In some cases it's led to a back log of orders so newer orders take longer to be delivered but this seems to have evened out now. Sales have been mixed due to covid as well so for instance a lot of clothing orders were cancelled from Africa. Some agents probably decided it's best not to order stuff until things settle. This seems to have eased following the first wave. Slowly but that is what seems to have happened.

Personal imports don't seem to be a problem. Over the £135 people will be charged VAT and any duty at the boarder if that is what the number is. 150 euro anyway. Having bought stuff below that they have arrived and I have paid VAT, I'm not sure which country is getting that though. Delivery times are a lot longer from the EU and the delay is variable.

Selling to the EU. One person who made and sold coats to the EU commented. With tariffs they are not competitive any more so have given up. More paper work may figure as well. Unhappy man so hard to be sure what his problems are really. Export problems are not newsworthy currently so who knows what's going on.

I can personally confirm imports are a problem at the moment.

Recently the majority of our work has been on European engines, and they've been a nightmare obtaining parts going through the import process. It's cost us quite a large fortune in additional fees.

Recently the majority of our work has been on European engines, and they've been a nightmare obtaining parts going through the import process. It's cost us quite a large fortune in additional fees.

Yep shipping costs have gone up. I suppose that customs is involved at the EU end especially on vat free exports. I order 2 things a week apart. ;) The first order arrived a week after the 2nd.

Brexit...

The gift that keeps on giving!

Sponsored Links
Back