European Commission of Human Rights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In your opinion, would it be a positive or negative for the UK if we left the ECHR and why?

Sponsored Links
Negative.
we started the bloody thing.
many people can’t name a single thing that the ECHR has done that would be against the principles of British Law.

Reminds me of that monty python
Life if Brian film

What did the Romans ever do for us scene ??

Sponsored Links
It would be entirely possible to leave and keep all the good bits. At the end of the day we have a human rights act and a judicial system that doesn't fear p**ing off government.

I don't see a need for international oversight.

Its like paying an external company to audit your corporate social responsibility, when you could have a policy and stick to it yourselves.

Modern day slavery still goes on

Domestic abuse still goes on

British citizens killed and raped by foreign born criminals.

Exposure to foreign criminals that can't be deported.

Isn't leaving more about being effective in all the above.

Isn't it about protecting good and not protecting the bad?

After all no one would disagree for what they stand for and are meant to be about.....

Just saying​

Modern day slavery still goes on

Domestic abuse still goes on

British citizens killed and raped by foreign born criminals.

Exposure to foreign criminals that can't be deported.

Isn't leaving more about being effective in all the above.

Isn't it about protecting good and not protecting the bad?

After all no one would disagree for what they stand for and are meant to be about.....

Just saying​
The ECHR doesn't, by itself, prevent HR abuses. it provides the means to appeal when governments don't respect your rights.

The ECHR doesn't, by itself, prevent HR abuses. it provides the means to appeal when governments don't respect your rights.

So it's not about foreign criminals infringing on our human rights?

It would be entirely possible to leave and keep all the good bits. At the end of the day we have a human rights act and a judicial system that doesn't fear p**ing off government.

I don't see a need for international oversight.

Its like paying an external company to audit your corporate social responsibility, when you could have a policy and stick to it yourselves.

This Tory government has toyed with and tried to limit the power of the courts to over-ride government decisions. A mechanism like the ECHR is needed so that the government cannot change the constitution to grant the government powers to restrict the authority of the judiciary.

The UK government is pursuing multiple legal reforms designed to rebalance “the relationship between the government, parliament and the courts” – a commitment made in the Conservative party’s 2019 election manifesto.

So it's not about foreign criminals infringing on our human rights?
Not really, the domestic courts protect against foreign and indigenous criminals.
The ECHR is more of a mechanism for protecting Human Rights against organisations such as governments, EU, etc.

What does the European Court of Human Rights do? The Court applies the European Convention on Human Rights. Its task is to ensure that States respect the rights and guarantees set out in the Convention. It does this by examining complaints (known as “applications”) lodged by individuals or, sometimes, by States.

The ECHR was set up after WW2 to ensure that states did not contravene basic Human Rights.

Not really, the domestic courts protect against foreign and indigenous criminals.

Then who prevents these foreign criminals being deported in some instances once they have served their term?

Then who prevents these foreign criminals being deported in some instances once they have served their term?
I assume you are referring to the fake news instances of the cat ownership preventing deportation of a criminal?

Article 8 of the European Convention on the right to privacy and family life deals with that subject in great detail.
I suggest you read it and understand it before making spurious claims about it.

I assume you are referring to the fake news instances of the cat ownership preventing deportation of a criminal?

Article 8 of the European Convention on the right to privacy and family life deals with that subject in great detail.
I suggest you read it and understand it before making spurious claims about it.

I'm not going to waste my time reading it. Are you saying our government are free to remove foreign nationals who.mean harm to our country and its people or is this fake news?

I'm not going to waste my time reading it. Are you saying our government are free to remove foreign nationals who.mean harm to our country and its people or is this fake news?
If you can't be bothered to read it, I can't be bothered to answer your questions, based on mythology, about it.
If you're can't be bothered to read it, you can't be particularly interested in the text 'from the horse's mouth'.

If you can't be bothered to read it, I can't be bothered to answer your questions, based on mythology, about it.
if you're can't be bothered to read it, you can't be particularly interested in the text 'from the horse's mouth'.

Exactly the answer I expected from you because you got the answer you expected from me.

It's always the way out of loosing an argument.

I want a human rights organisation that protects the good people of this world from the bad people of this world.

That's all I want​

Sponsored Links
Back