Feed the birds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a little reminder to all ....birds are really struggling to find food with the big freeze so put what you can out for them.....

Sponsored Links
I agree - I've got nuts, seed, fat balls and suet blocks out for them. There's a right little hive of activity on my apple tree.

The pigeons are greedy devils though - I can't keep up with them!

I save the fat from cooking throughout the year, mix it with seed and put it out at this time.

Alison, to the pigeons I would also add magpies, squirrils, starlings and we have blackbirds that try their best too. :)

Sponsored Links
I put a feeder full of seed out on the feeding station and also some fat balls which have not been touched at all. :(

Must have eaten too much over Xmas. :D

I've a feeling that the fat balls in my feeders have frozen - I'm imagining lots of broken beaks trying to peck at them.

It's turning into a battle of wills with me and the pigeons - I keep trying to put the feeders in places that the pigeons can't get at but they soon suss out a way of getting in.

I've got a couple of blackbirds that sit and wait on me going out with the food and they're right at my feet waiting on me putting down a handful of seed for them.

I lovingly built my own bird table (complete with roof) last year but apart from the bloomin pigeons and starlings, nothing else seems to be going near it! There must be some kind of design fault!

Oh, and I read on the RSPB site to remove the fat balls from these mesh bags that they come in (I use a fat ball feeder) cos tongues and toes can get caught in the mesh.

I made up some fat/breadcrumb balls from the congealed grease I skimmed off some curried lamb. For some reason the birds won't touch them, though.... :confused: Oh well, they'll just have to make do with plain breadcumbs...

as I live in a first floor flat, do you think I could put a bird table on a platform outside of a window? or would the birds keep flying into the window?

Before Christmas we had a greater spotted woodpecker visiting the nut feeder haven't seen him since,hope its not succumbed to the cold,we have always fed the birds during the winter .

If you buy seed have a look at a Farm Supply wholesaler they often have it by the sack and cheaper than garden centres etc

youre not supposed to use fat or bread as these arent good for birds for different reasons.dont for get water .

I agree with johnboy you have to feed the bird in winter and also put out clean water.

youngroughcaster ;) ;)

do birds even drink water?
I was under the impression that they got whatever water the needed from the seeds and barries that they eat?

put some water out and watch them drink.but replace everyime it freezes over.that will keep you busy in the current climate.

I've got some trace heating knocking about somewhere.. I'm sure I could knock up an old metal plate with some foam under it..

Sponsored Links
Back