Flueless gas fires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a word of explanation. Our resident expert builder "Peter Pervert" is a known contributer who has posted as Big Burner, Water Services, Legion and several other aliases. He pops up here now and then when matron lets him out of his rubber room..

Just to clear things up Groucho, I am not on this forum in any other name whatsoever. The moderators will be aware of that-!!.

Now- regarding insulation your/anyones home -- My home is as well and probably better insulated than possibly 80% of homes .
Walls cavity filled- celotex in roof space - hardwood d/glazed windows 4-20-4 units -- evry opening window and door draught sealed etc etc .
However - being a 'consciencious builder' I am very aware that ventilation is important -otherwise it causes major problems to the fabric of the house .
I have extraction fans in kitchen, bathrooms and even conservatory. I also am aware that unless the outside air can get in- the extractor fans can not do their job correctly-- which is something most people forget about .
I have no problem with a direct vent in the wall in which a flueless fire is situated. A change of air is good . If a decent 'baffled' vent is fitted and positioned correctly it need not cause a major draught.
It's just basic common sense .

We all have choices and the more information we get the better choices we make .
Now- unless you have installed or lived with a flueless fire- you really are not qualified to make damaging comments regarding safety, efficiency or anything else .
Just stick to what you have seen --and not heard on the grapevine - which as we know is usually comments from people who do not understand the technology and are afraid of change- because it upsets their 'comfort zone'.

Sponsored Links
Just stick to what you have seen --and not heard on the grapevine - which as we know is usually comments from people who do not understand the technology and are afraid of change- because it upsets their 'comfort zone'.

Why then, does the above not apply to you considering your comments about condensing boilers?

How about answering all the questions in the last thread.

If the Manufacturers were in the Court because their fire left the factory in an dangerous condition that the occupants get killed, they would soon be off the market.

The death traps are aimed at the DIY market which is why they are predominantly sold in the sheds and the majority of RGI's refuse to install or service them.

I have extraction fans in kitchen, bathrooms and even conservatory. I also am aware that unless the outside air can get in- the extractor fans can not do their job correctly-- which is something most people forget about .
I have no problem with a direct vent in the wall in which a flueless fire is situated. A change of air is good . If a decent 'baffled' vent is fitted and positioned correctly it need not cause a major draught.

Now- unless you have installed or lived with a flueless fire- you really are not qualified to make damaging comments regarding safety, efficiency or anything else .

Well then since you are a modern and enlightened builder (I'm very sorry that you have been demoted from plumber) you will know that heat recovery units are the sane way to go rather than knocking big holes in your walls... At least you can recover some of the heat that you are blasting off to atmosphere..It's just basic common sense.

I can and do fit flueless fires. They are not dangerous provided that they are correctly installed but sadly customers are their own worst enemy.. they block off the ventilation and neglect servicing. The down sides outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

I went to service a flueless last week (The customer really wanted me to sign it off, fitted by DIYers unknown) There was no ventilation, the customer was given the option of having a vent fitted with all the disadvantages that a permanent vent brings or I cut the fire off and cap the supply pipe.... The fire will be appearing on Ebay shortly

Sponsored Links
I'd bet not many are sold in Japan, Vietnam

I have never seem a gas fire in Japan. I doubt it would be a very safe thing to have considering the geology there.

The Japanese would probably think you were nuts anyway. They use AC.

But putting Nuclear power stations in earth quake zones on the edge of the sea. Perfectly safe?

I have never seem a gas fire in Japan. I doubt it would be a very safe thing to have considering the geology there.

The Japanese would probably think you were nuts anyway. They use AC.

But putting Nuclear power stations in earth quake zones on the edge of the sea. Perfectly safe?

The earthquake had no effect on the power stations.

Loss of power caused by loss of connection to the grid and flooding of the generator rooms was the problem.

37 with physical injuries, 2 workers taken to hospital with radiation burns - so pretty safe really, compared to say Aberfan with 116 children and 28 adults killed.

Well then since you are a modern and enlightened builder (I'm very sorry that you have been demoted from plumber) you will know that heat recovery units are the sane way to go rather than knocking big holes in your walls... At least you can recover some of the heat that you are blasting off to atmosphere..It's just basic common sense.

I can and do fit flueless fires. They are not dangerous provided that they are correctly installed but sadly customers are their own worst enemy.. they block off the ventilation and neglect servicing. The down sides outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

I went to service a flueless last week (The customer really wanted me to sign it off, fitted by DIYers unknown) There was no ventilation, the customer was given the option of having a vent fitted with all the disadvantages that a permanent vent brings or I cut the fire off and cap the supply pipe.... The fire will be appearing on Ebay shortly

A man of contradictions and double standards indeed.
Considering you are always knocking flueless gas fires and everyone who likes them- you are prepared to fit them and extract money from customer by doing so.
Also- for someone who has never had one in his own home- you seem to believe every bad comment you read regarding the fires.
Big draughts, lots of condensation, etc etc .
Dont knock them until you try them.
Now- regarding this mysterious person who is selling one on ebay !! hows about backing this up and letting us all know the item number- so we can see for ourselves ?.
You see Groucho- I have had a flueless fire installed for last 3 years or so-so I can speak from experience- unlike yourself .

ps- I have just got home from work and am now planning what to spend my £30 days wages on.

The Japanese would probably think you were nuts anyway.

I disagree. Looks like they do use flueless gas fires after all. :LOL:

masks.jpg

£30 a day, :eek: crikey I've just spent 10 days wages on a two night stay in Croydon. :LOL:

I get more than that staying at home with my open fire. :LOL:

That's the shape of the construction industry in Scotland, Brickies on £30/shift cash in hand. Joiners working for £45/shift books-in.

Brickies were making £1,500/week before the crash in 2008.

Please refer to my 9.07 post in the flueless gas fires thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back