Flueless gas fires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies- but due to a few caustic comments regarding safety of flueless gas fires-the thread was blocked/locked.
SO-- can we please get back to the basics without the usual ill informed opinions knocking the subject ?.

There are several (if not more) people on here who require ('well informed) information and advice regarding this topic .

For those 'technicians' !! who do not like or are afraid of 'change' - please 'pass this thread by'.

Some of us need to know the facts.

Sponsored Links
So please tell us what are the advantages of these marvels of cheap bent tin?

I prefer to concentrate on heating appliances. How are these monstrosities so advanced that a decent gas fitter cannot figure out how they work or how to fit them?

But you haven't explained the advantages of a flueless gas fire. What are the advantages of cutting a permanent and sizable hole in the wall so that the winter wind blows round your ankles... These are mandatory if you want a flueless gas fire. What are the advantages of all the moisture that the fire produces causing condensation on your windows and promoting mould growth? What are the advantages of having a device that cannot be used as a primary source of heat and is used in conjunction with a radiator or electric fire.... If you have a radiator, the chances are you will have a central heating boiler so how does the flueless gas fire enhance your home?

Please tell us.....

Sponsored Links
peter you've totally missed the point. A flueless fire should only be used as a secondary heat source as advised by the manufacturers themselves. So whats the point in having one?

In these times of austerity and everyone being careful regarding fuel costs- we all lean towards efficiency and lower costs of fuel.

So a flueless gas fire is the last thing a person is going to want or need.

Oh I see!... So if you are so concerned with the price of gas, then why are you looking at a gas fire? surly the wise thing to do would be to add insulation... (Insulation is free heating) Cutting a permanent vent in your wall is hardly a good idea in the depths of winter.... Remember you cannot close it off. Whilst you are at it when you have a new front door will you have the fitters cut a ruddy great hole in it so that the post man can shove the post through? Isn't that a little silly?

In my van I have a coffee cup, upon which Is printed "I'll try to be nicer if you try to be smarter" I love my coffee cup..

Face the facts lads, he is right.

Oh, hang on - he hasn't provided any.

Just as a word of explanation. Our resident expert builder "Peter Pervert" is a known contributer who has posted as Big Burner, Water Services, Legion and several other aliases. He pops up here now and then when matron lets him out of his rubber room..

Oh I see!... So if you are so concerned with the price of gas, then why are you looking at a gas fire? surly the wise thing to do would be to add insulation... (Insulation is free heating) Cutting a permanent vent in your wall is hardly a good idea in the depths of winter.... Remember you cannot close it off. Whilst you are at it when you have a new front door will you have the fitters cut a ruddy great hole in it so that the post man can shove the post through? Isn't that a little silly?

In my van I have a coffee cup, upon which Is printed "I'll try to be nicer if you try to be smarter" I love my coffee cup..

Not to mention that insulation itsself is actually free.

I'd bet not many are sold in Japan, Vietnam

I have never seem a gas fire in Japan. I doubt it would be a very safe thing to have considering the geology there.

The Japanese would probably think you were nuts anyway. They use AC.

If installed and maintained correctly with the proper ventilation, flueless gas fires are safe.

In reality these things are never serviced and the vent in the wall is blocked up because the occupants neither understood or cared why it was there. All they know is that a freezing floor draught was making their feet cold and shoving an old towel into the vent fixed this problem.

Flueless gas fires won't heat the room or anything else, as they are purely for decorative purposes. The same results can be obtained with a decorative electric fire which would be far cheaper to install and cost virtually nothing to operate, unless you were silly enough to actually try and use it for heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back