Full Rewire ( whilst living in, advice )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm getting a full rewire on Tuesday, even though I've not long since decorated . My kitchen is pretty newish and they said it needs to be rewired aswel. Is there anyway they can get behind without the need to move all worktops and alliances? Or will everything have to be disconnected etc ?

Thanx

Sponsored Links
All this should have been discussed with you before you agreed to the work.

Some new kitchens get new or improved wiring, some don't, why do they say your kitchen wiring is no good?

Kitchens can be rewired, to some extent, without removing the units and worktops. Appliances may need moving out. Damage may occur to tiles/splashbacks/walls.

Since you have redecorated recently, is there any particular reason why you are having a rewire?

How old is the house?

What is the old wiring made of (rubber or PVC for example)?

It may be that your house simply needs some remedial work rather than a full rewire.

Full rewires are getting rarer these days in that most of the rubber cable has been removed from most properties.

You should look into this before your newly decorated house gets destroyed.

Yeah we moved in 4 years ago and and not done anything major only plastered a few walls and done it to our style. Last year 2 sockets blew on there own , few weeks ago I said I wanted to update our fuse board which is 1970s and we had a cowboy electrician out and fitted one and couldn't get our lights back on and told us we need a rewire.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I was worried about my electrics but 2 electricians have since told me all OK, my 1980s cables are all good.
I did have one sparky tell me I needed to rewire the house though, and even told me how dangerous it could be, what with having little children... suggested a £4k job. I didn't invite him back

What sort of goon fits a new consumer unit, THEN tells you you need a complete rewire?

Andy, based on information from your other thread, you should really think carefully about having this work done. It seems it may be completely unnecessary.

Yeah we moved in 4 years ago and and not done anything major only plastered a few walls and done it to our style. Last year 2 sockets blew on there own , few weeks ago I said I wanted to update our fuse board which is 1970s and we had a cowboy electrician out and fitted one and couldn't get our lights back on and told us we need a rewire.

Ah yeah I remember your thread now.

I am sceptical you require a full rewire,

However to your question.

Living during a complete re-wire is a nightmare, make sure clothes etc are all bagged up and dust sheets cover as much as possible, the dust will get everywhere.

Hopefully your kids don't suffer from asthma or such like as building dust can cause attacks. When I was younger my parents extended the family home, one night I couldnt breath so mum and dad took me to doctors turned out the building dust caused me to suffer an asthma attack though I'd never had asthma or symptoms previously. Everyone else in the family was alright though. This was despite my parents keeping all the bedroom doors shut and the landing shielded from downstairs and a hoover up before we entered after coming home from school.

What sort of goon fits a new consumer unit, THEN tells you you need a complete rewire?
Seemingly the same goon who, having fitted the new CU, then ".... couldn't get our lights back on" :)
Andy, based on information from your other thread, you should really think carefully about having this work done. It seems it may be completely unnecessary.
I agree.

Kind Regards, John

I take it you have had more than the one opinion and quote?????

Sounds to me this could potentially be good money after bad.

The general consensus of opinion is that the spark who fitted your board is completely incompetent and should not be trusted at all.

He did not carry out the correct testing prior to fitting the new board. He had no concept of what the issue could be that prevented energising of the lighting circuit and his solution to that was a complete rewire.

That's as crazy as a plumber saying, this radiator is not heating up so I need to replace your complete CH system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back