Fuses

Arh. It’s one of these is it

Ah I see that now. It depends how many way are needed, I did one with about 4 or 5 MCB's in a flat and any small CU fitted in between the trunking up the sides, IIRC ther was only a tiny meter in there and the CU fitted below the partition.
In another I fabricated one to fit in/on the existing frame using din rail and the neutral and earth bars used in MEM 3ph boards.

Sponsored Links
I thought that Crabtree? He fitted was made for the job.
Been ages since I watched it
Having now watched the video I don't recall having that many issues reusing all the old mountings and creating a board. However I do understand not everyone has the experience or inclination to design and build.

AND not all of those cabinets are fitted with the extended front and that board protrudes beyond the front of the flush finished version.

No mine looks older than that video. His one had flick switches mines push putton lool

Sponsored Links
Never seen a Wylex board with screws like that.

upload_2020-9-9_11-11-49.png

As regards age, a brown Wylex consumer unit with a wooden back plate could have been installed as early as 1956. But there would be other clues if this were the case, like the presence of rubber cabling.

Having said that, I have seen several rewires over the years where the consumer unit was not replaced!

I believe that style of RCD was among the first to be installed in consumer units. AFAIK, they were introduced in 1974, but their take-up was very slow.

Ivory consumer units were being installed as late as the mid 1980's and some of those had wooden back plates.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-9_11-11-13.png
    upload_2020-9-9_11-11-13.png
    158 KB · Views: 145
Never seen a Wylex board with screws like that.

View attachment 204275

As regards age, a brown Wylex consumer unit with a wooden back plate could have been installed as early as 1956. But there would be other clues if this were the case, like the presence of rubber cabling.

Having said that, I have seen several rewires over the years where the consumer unit was not replaced!

I believe that style of RCD was among the first to be installed in consumer units. AFAIK, they were introduced in 1974, but their take-up was very slow.

Ivory consumer units were being installed as late as the mid 1980's and some of those had wooden back plates.
I believe the screw is fairly typical of the Maintal [very likely the wrong spelling] enclosures and not all of them had Wylex inserts.

I fitted a cream Wylex in the current house around 1994, the wooden versions only had a frame, the mount with a ply back was an extra or at least not the basic version. I believe the wooden version was phased out and around 1982/3 as I purchased an 8W and a 4W and got a wooden and a plastic version.

Not really. My late parents house was built in 1952 and had PVC cabling from the outset.

Ok, fair enough. But, in the same way as rubber cable was still "allowable" under the 14th Edition (iss.1966), but very rarely seen in installations after that date (I personally have never seen rubber cable in a house wired under the 14th), PVC cable appears as an option in the 13th Edition (iss.1955). I can't speak for the 12th Edition (iss.1950, the regs in force when that house was built), as I don't yet own a copy.

I believe the screw is fairly typical of the Maintal [very likely the wrong spelling] enclosures and not all of them had Wylex inserts.
Sure, but I have never seen the screws on the front, only at the sides of the skel unit. As RF says, every day's a school day!

Not really. My late parents house was built in 1952 and had PVC cabling from the outset.
I find this very hard to comprehend, we lived in a 1951 house which was all cotton/rubber singles in split tube, I was born in 1955 and recall helping dad pulling in similar wires, on a friends farm, so I'd guess that was into 60's, 2015 I did some work on a 1960 house which was all rubber T&E, during the job it was established that the refurb started on the 45th anniversary of first occupation [new owner has placed the front page of the times behind wall paper with a note] and another house which was rubber/pvc outer T&E built around the same time. House I'm in now, built 1968, had one piece of rubber/pvc in the ring and equally a neighbour had some too so I'm guessing original.

I just about recall the first time I stripped some funny T&E, for funny read PVC.

PVC flex was certainly around at end of 50's, I still vividly recall getting burnt while holding a DIN plug as dad soldered pvc screened cable to it with the iron heated on the gas cooker in the house we moved from in 1961 and likewise helping him make some additional loudspeaker cables on the kitchen table [dare I admit I still have some of them but now redundant for many a year], the existing were maroon cotton over rubber twisted and the new are maroon figure of 8, horrible hard and brittle stuff and some are thin coloured pvc twisted bell wire from woolworths [2½d per yard] or the local iron mongers [3d per yard] prior to 1961.

I find this very hard to comprehend,

Maybe so but definitely the case, I was there. The estate was built over several years and the first houses built had rubber cable. I think our house was one of the first with PVC. The only rubber in the house was the pendant drops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back