Fuses

Sponsored Links
And if you can't be bothered with changing the whole thing, consider replacing the MCBs with Wylex plug-in cartridge fuses.

They would save a good inch of space, if not slightly more.

Be sure to buy some spare cartridges though, as you would not have the luxury of just flicking a switch after a fault.

And if you can't be bothered with changing the whole thing, consider replacing the MCBs with Wylex plug-in cartridge fuses.

They would save a good inch of space, if not slightly more.

Be sure to buy some spare cartridges though, as you would not have the luxury of just flicking a switch after a fault.

Do they still make Wylex cartridge fuses?

Sponsored Links
The fuses are, but I was referring to the carriers rather than the actual fuses.

True most are about 120mm a Schneider Easy9 could have a mirrored front stuck to it :D

Out of interest I went down with a tape, old Wylex with fuse sticks out just under 100 mm, the old plastic consumer unit was 130 mm, the new fuse box (make) metal consumer unit including lid 120 mm, not got a Wylex MCB to measure, but it would seem there will be very little difference. The cover was missing off the old Wylex so had to guess how much it stuck out extra to the fuse, but it would seem there will be no real gain changing the box.

Screwfix give depth, British General 155 mm Wylex 121 mm Chint 113 mm Schneider 137 mm Crabtree 121 mm so it does seem unlikely that any change will really help. The MCB/RCBO they house does not change that much in size, so neither will the whole unit.

Out of interest I went down with a tape, old Wylex with fuse sticks out just under 100 mm, the old plastic consumer unit was 130 mm, the new fuse box (make) metal consumer unit including lid 120 mm, not got a Wylex MCB to measure, but it would seem there will be very little difference. The cover was missing off the old Wylex so had to guess how much it stuck out extra to the fuse, but it would seem there will be no real gain changing the box.

Screwfix give depth, British General 155 mm Wylex 121 mm Chint 113 mm Schneider 137 mm Crabtree 121 mm so it does seem unlikely that any change will really help. The MCB/RCBO they house does not change that much in size, so neither will the whole unit.
I don't think you're far off the truth here, the current CU's have got quite bulky.

I'm not totally sure what version of Wylex the existing board is from the pics so I struggle to judge the depth.
I've just measured:
Plastic Wylex with toggle style MCB - 135mm.
Metal Wylex, 6W + 45A position - 120mm + 45 for MCB = 165mm

Pro-Elec [not the best boards according to some! But I've worked on a few without any serious issues] come up at 110mm deep [I hope that includes the cover] so could be 2" shallower than the Wylex.
The old Merlins [like the one in the thread 'A real moan tonight'] metal box is a perfect depth match for 75mm trunking and I doubt anything protrudes 30mm from there.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back