How to deal with a screw pop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we've a few of these around the house and I think there called screw pops?

What's the best way to deal with these,as I'm wondering if I fill over them will they just come back again?

Is it worth taking the screw out?

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_130854.jpg
    IMG_20220205_130854.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Half turn screw. See if it pulls tight or if it dose nothing as board had crumbled a bit.
If board around screw has failed and crumbled fit another 38mm drywall screw about 25mm away.
I use a large drill or a countersink bit first to dip in surface a bit so the new screw head sits nice.
Toupret powder filler. Sand. Fill again if needed. Sand again and paint.

To find joist direction tap tap and you will hear the thud so will know which way the joist runs or use a magnet to find the other screws.
No need to drill pilot holes.

Half turn screw. See if it pulls tight or if it dose nothing as board had crumbled a bit.
If board around screw has failed and crumbled fit another 38mm drywall screw about 25mm away.
I use a large drill or a countersink bit first to dip in surface a bit so the new screw head sits nice.
Toupret powder filler. Sand. Fill again if needed. Sand again and paint.

To find joist direction tap tap and you will hear the thud so will know which way the joist runs or use a magnet to find the other screws.
No need to drill pilot holes.
Finally got round to this, managed to turn the screws a few times then fill with toupret

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back