how to fit new light switches onto unidentified cores.

I am thinking the same as you Sunray, but obviously we don't encourage guesswork so didn't suggest it.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking the same as you Sunray, but obviously we don't encourage guesswork so didn't suggest it.
I totally agree with your comment and I don't normally offer a 'solution' like this, I would more usually go down the line of offering advice on testing.

However from my initial reading of OP this the solution I invisaged. This is amplified by one red not being doupled over and why I asked about the link wire.
Then I saw the pic of the other switch which only confirmed all of my ideas.
Additionally I believe there is little (if any) risk in this case if this solution is incorrect.

THE risk that i perceive is a lack of earth on the faceplate.

Sponsored Links
But common sense does apply in the UK

Indeed. That is why I always say putting a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit is bad practice. That is also why I say UK mains voltage is 240v not some arbitrary lower figure dreamt up by bureaucrats.

The use of common sense when using that socket removes any suggestion of bad practice.

You cannot assume your customer, or their family members have common sense, or even that they are aware of the sockets wiring status.

You cannot assume your customer, or their family members have common sense, or even that they are aware of the sockets wiring status.
But the applied lable will give the game away.

Yes I do because it is a requirement that the cpc be terminated in the terminal on the accessory. I would also promote and endorse the running of a flylead to the backbox as correctly required by ET101 and RECI.

Neither ET101 or RECI apply in the UK. We work to BS7671 and a fly lead is not ‘required’, but is seen by some as good practice. Not fitting one does not contravene BS7671.

Indeed. That is why I always say putting a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit is bad practice. That is also why I say UK mains voltage is 240v not some arbitrary lower figure dreamt up by bureaucrats.

Which reg says you can’t have an SO on a lighting circuit?
The nominal voltage is 230V (single phase) and has been since 2003.

Which reg says you can’t have an SO on a lighting circuit?

The 1984 regulations according to Winston Smith

Character overview Winston Smith works as a clerk in the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth, where his job is to rewrite historical documents so they match the constantly changing current party line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back