Illness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of you know I have been ill for some time, with a variety of conditions.

I have been unable to drive due to medical reasons since March 2012 and this is highly unlikely to change.

I have now taken ill-health retirement.

Please look after your health, guys.

I wish you a long healthy career and eventual retirement.

Take care.

Sponsored Links
that sucks for you m8,im sorry to be reading this.
im prying now whats wrong thats made it go t.its up for you?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, folks.

Things are unlikely to improve, I'm told.

I will still be a member here, but retired spark as opposed to working model, so to speak...;)

I have a multitude of conditions, but primarily, the things that stopped me doing my job were worsening issues with my right leg - foot, knee and hip (I have a right-sided hemiplegia from birth injury) which meant I could not climb a ladder or crawl in a loft or floor space and a sight problem diagnosed as permanent meaning I cannot pass the sight test required for driving, or be trusted with wiring.

The trouble with my kind of brain injury is that there was/ is a fair amount of care for children, but when you get to a certain age, it feels like you plummet off the radar and there is no more care on the NHS for you.

I just wanted to let you know, primarily to warn people to look after their health as it is the most precious thing they have...you don't value it until it is gone. And by then it's too late.

A lot of what I have I could not have ducked, but I might have put "it" back a bit by wearing PPE in my early years as a spark. You know, in the days when your mates called you a girl for wearing gloves or knee pads or ear defenders....that's if they were even available to wear!

good post

you have my sympathy and understanding that goes without being said

but to be honest if we look after our body to the best off our ability thats great for the long term
but often at at the risk off not having any life at all :cool:

better to take a bit off a risk and feel you have fulfilled your potential
yes it may make your latter years a bit more troublesome but you will have good times to look back on

i am not talking stupid long term excess but short term burger it and have fun

secure, this is a very sad state of affairs, of which (like others) I had no idea. I can but offer you my very best wishes in your retirement ... but please don't just curl up on a sofa in front of a TV from now onwards - you owe it to yourself to keep your body, as well as your mind, as active as is possible!

I'm certainly very pleased to hear that you are going to continue to be an active member of the forum. I'm sure that becoming a 'retired spark' in no way prevents you from making very valuable contributions (and is part of that 'keeping your mind active'!) - having never been a spark myself, I can never become a retired one, but I nevertheless seem to find a few things to say here, so I'm sure that you will for a long time to come :)

Again, my sympathies and very best wishes to you and yours.

Kindest Regards, John

Did know about your illness mate. I hope you have a productive retirement considering the circumstances.

Regards to you and yours.

Sorry to hear that Simon. There is more to life than work ie health + happiness, but keep yourself as active as you can and make sure you still post on here !!

I am sorry to hear about your health.

Is retirement essential, perhaps a change of direction to keep the mind and body active in a less physically demanding way. The help and advice you post here is valuable so please keep active here on the forum.

I wish all the best in the future.

You'll be amazed how much you can enjoy now you have time and a release of work stresses, but it takes a while for you to "change gear" so don't panic if you keep being drawn into seeing work as the only way to live.
Best wishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back