Illness

Securespark you have my sympathy, sorry to hear about your illness and retirement. Try to keep your chin up though!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about you problems. Yes health is something we take for granted until it's not there.

As to PPE since you raised it an cautionary tail. When I had my accident I was wearing PPE which included gloves. I nearly lost my hand as a direct result of wearing gloves that were too tight. They were the biggest made of that type but were a tight fit which was no problem until accident when loss of blood mean not enough blood getting to my hand due to tight glove.

We are all told PPE should be last resort i.e. if you need PPE then some one has failed in their duty to make the site safe. Clearly this is often the case and we do need to wear hard hats and the like. However Hi-vis for electricians is also something to be wary of. We should not wear nylon as with ionisation it can melt nylon onto your skin. Wool and cotton should be warn but Hi-vis jackets are often made of nylon so although wearing them to and from the job on the job they should be taken off. However doing that one forgets to put them back on.

It is so easy to incorporate Hi-vis with the overalls and lets face it they are called overalls because they are put over all other clothing ensuring nothing lose. Some Hi-vis are designed to rip clear but many are quite strong so should be warn under overalls! We did this on Connah's Quay power station which produced a heated argument with the safety officer but we did get the overalls with Hi-vis strips as a result.

So be careful with PPE and ask yourself is this appropriate wear for an electrician.

Like securespark I have also had to retire because of health. I do the odd job but have had to face reality and realise I am not going to work again. At least as an electrician. The problem is go for a job I could do and they ask about why I have not worked for so long and what qualifications I have and as soon as they find I have a degree then they are not interested. But to show I have office skills I need to say how I learnt them did not take a basic IT exam as took it as part of degree. Can't take job centre course's as over qualified and at 61 no one wants to re-train me. So forced to retire.

I have taken up photography and walking which is clearly no good for securespark but I am sure you can find some hobby say making beer? I am sure we will all help you to drink it if you do. :D

Please accept my sympathies for your difficulty. I am glad that you will continue to post; one thing no-one can take from you is your skill and experience, and you have a wealth of both. Look after yourself and keep your chin up!

All I can offer is my best wishes for the future. I just put my mother in a care home, and the biggest thing I wish to do for her is to provide her with an interest, but I am struggling. In your case you are still young, and still have the possibilities to pursue interests. Maintain them and life will continue to be rewarding.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear of your situation SS, but I'm pleased that you intend to remain here (and on GD presumably). I'm sure people will appreciate your continued very helpful professional advice.

Sorry securespark if I said the wrong thing, I really did not mean to.

I have also been off work long term due to my health.

Hi SS. I won't offer my sympathies because I reckon that the last thing you want is people feeling sorry for you.

However, as has been said a number of times, you are a very valuable contributor on here and have put me right on a number of occasions so help to keep your brain active by continuing to post. You will of course have to keep up with any amendments to the regs so that is another way of keeping the grey matter stimulated.

Even though you say there is no hope of a recovery from your ailments are you doing/taking anything to slow down or even halt the progress? Keeping a positive attitude helps to ward off many 'mental' incidents so try to be positive about life in general. If I remember correctly you have a couple of young lads, try to get involved with them as much as possible, even if it is for moral support at something they do and I'm sure you will have a wealth of knowledge and experience to pass on to them.

Take care and keep posting.

Keep your head held high, you're a valued poster here and always have a good way of putting things across. How old are the kids now, the eldest must be in his teens by now? Hope he follows in your footsteps.

spot on conny
we need sympathy and understanding
but we need to clear our heads and thoughts more so distraction is a greater way of healing
we need to forget whats happened and take our minds off it
this is why i give simpathy but instantly move on to try and distract and help the thoughts move to a happier place :D

Sorry to hear the sad news.

Sod's law if you wanted to take early retirement you wouldn't of been able to, so to have it forced isn't nice.

Given the problems it's very understandable, but fear not you are very valued here and hopefully you will continue to fly your flag of knowledge and help.

I hope the illnesses progressions slow down and that you are rewarded with many years of happy ness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back