Is it worthwhile having an dedicated AV circuit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having the living room re-wired soon as part of renovation works.

Would it be worthwhile having a dedicated radial circuit installed to service all of the AV equipment? I would probably be connecting 4x double sockets behind the TV unit, so think a 20amp RCBO in the CU would be fine?

Is this worth doing? I read that maybe it would reduce noise on the circuit from other household appliances.

Also, is this a circuit that would benefit from High Integrity earthing? I must admit I don't understand this particularly, but as I will be having someone in to do the work, I may as well do it once and do it right!

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Also, is this a circuit that would benefit from High Integrity earthing?

Probably not.... High Integrity earthing uses two Protective Earth conductors from the sockets to the Earth bus bar in the Consumer Unit and does not reduce noise / interference on the supply to the sockets.

It might benefit from a Clean Earth to the sockets. A Clean Earth is taken from an electrically quiet source of Ground potential, sometimes a Ground rod. This provides the Earth to the equipment but NOT to the cable / socket fixing screws / back box.

The cable for Live and Neutral must have a Protective Earth conductor from the Earth Bus bar in the consumer unit to Earth the fixing screws and back box of the sockets

Clean Earth sockets have two sets of Earth terminals, one for the Protective Earth and one for the Clean Earth

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/clean-earth-3-terminal-socket.441908/

I have never found a need for high integrity earthing in a domestic environment. The regs say something like it is only necessary if the total protective conductor current is likely to exceed 10 mA, I wouldn't have thought you would encounter that even with quite a lot of AV equipment.

Also a lot of hooey is talked about mains noise by having a separate discrete circuit. You'll get noise transfer from other circuits on the same CU in any case. Most modern AV equipment have filters to minimise mains-borne noise.

You could consider having a mains purifier if you encounter problems. Don't forget to use the special super sockets to further enhance your listening and viewing experience:whistle:

Sponsored Links
Yes, but The Russ Andrews hobbies are treated with DeoxIT™ contact enhancer. That's got to be worth the extra £20!

What do they use in high-end hi-fi stores to power the display equipment?

That ring main cable has this little gem of information
The cable is supplied in single insulated form. For installation purposes the cable must be double insulated, which can be provided at additional cost.

And be sure to use a sensible earthing system. Rusty Androids provides for this essential requirement with the "" The Star RF Router ""

http://www.russandrews.com/star-rf-router/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back