Is there a general combi boiler brand which is considered best value for money?

T

teaboyjim

If I have to buy a new combi boiler what brands should I consider for good value for money?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Johnson and Starley. Admittedly mine is a heat only unit but build quality is good and it has given 9 years trouble free service

Sponsored Links
Wait till you're Intergas warranty expires...then see what value they are (they've got some extortionate spares prices).
They aren't that bad, and anyway with an ECO RF or Xclusive that's 12 years away

£465.60 for a printed circuit board is a very high price. You can buy a laptop for less and the laptop has a keyboard and display as well as a PCB.

It may be that the Intergas PCB price includes the cost of a licence per PCB for any third party firmware installed on the PCB

What are the prices if bought direct from Intergas and not from what appears to be a franchise

The INTERGAS Shop is a trading name of MID WALES PLUMBING AND HEATING SUPPLIES LIMITED.

Intergas
Ravenheat
Rumour has it that Intergas are washing their hands with the UK market.. warranty call outs are taking months

All this seems to have coincided with them being taken over by Rheem (a US based company)

I'd steer clear of intergas.

What about Potterton or Valiant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumour has it that Intergas are washing their hands with the UK market.. warranty call outs are taking months

All this seems to have coincided with them being taken over by Rheem (a US based company)

I'd steer clear of intergas.
Rumour from where? Intergas are trying to increase their market share with the extra investment that Rheem can provide. The UK is one of their biggest markets, it would make no sense for them to leave. I've also never heard of a warranty call taking longer than a week even at the very busiest times.

£465.60 for a printed circuit board is a very high price. You can buy a laptop for less and the laptop has a keyboard and display as well as a PCB.

It may be that the Intergas PCB price includes the cost of a licence per PCB for any third party firmware installed on the PCB

What are the prices if bought direct from Intergas and not from what appears to be a franchise

The INTERGAS Shop is a trading name of MID WALES PLUMBING AND HEATING SUPPLIES LIMITED.
Presumably as you're not a heating engineer you're not logged in to the site Bernard, and therefore can't see the trade prices.

The Intergas Shop isn't a franchise, it's a business in its own right, but yes it is based in the same building and run by the same people as MWPHS

Nobody has mentioned Potterton or Valiant?
Is Valiant just a hyped up brand with lots of marketing?
Potterton = Baxi = Main, same boilers largely.

Vaillant's higher end boilers are OK if a little expensive, some of their cheaper models are rebadged Glow-worm boilers with higher prices

I see what you mean, £465 for a rapid boiler controller board... a dear do.
You can pick the whole boiler up for around £700 with a 6 year warranty.

I've had my intergas for a couple of years now (previous gloworm), and I have to say I'm impressed, cheap to run and very quiet.
Mine is running rads and wet UFH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back