Leak through bay lintel, and some cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks. We've had issues with leaking around this bay before and had 2 different roofers out to do repairs in the last 2 years. The most recent being this repair to the valley, which I've never had much confidence in (the roofers seemed more interested in trying to sell us a new roof than doing the repair we contracted them for). They seem to have just stuck some flashing over it.
IMG20231020113850.jpg

Now we have a horizontal crack in the centre of the lintel (no idea if it's just the plaster cracking due to water coming through or more sinister) and water coming through. MIL noticed it a few weeks ago when we were away and the weather was really bad. It's been steadily dripping in the last few days' rain. I'm wondering if it's flashing-related - especially since we had our windows replaced this year. That was back in May though, it seems odd that it wouldn't appear til now. There are some hairline cracks at each end of the lintel, too, again I don't really know how long they've been there are they are only apparent on close inspection and I wasn't closely inspecting previously. I feel like I would have noticed the big crack in the middle though as it's almost directly over my side of the bed.
IMG20231020112553.jpg
IMG20231020112612.jpg
IMG20231020112622.jpg

1930s end-terrace house with pitched tile roof; the bay has its own pitched roof too. We're going to get a couple of (different) roofers out to look at it but I'm worried it might be more than just a leak given the cracking around the lintel. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The valley repair is actually a bodge by a clueless idiot. Not acceptable at all.

You need a proper roofer to investigate and repair, as continuous water penetration (even if unseen) has most likely caused the timber beam to deflect and crack that plaster. And you don't want rot to set in.

Sponsored Links
The valley repair is actually a bodge by a clueless idiot. Not acceptable at all.

You need a proper roofer to investigate and repair, as continuous water penetration (even if unseen) has most likely caused the timber beam to deflect and crack that plaster. And you don't want rot to set in.

Thanks - I've been quoted for a new zinc valley at £1500 inclusive (or £1700 for both sides as the other side is cemented) by one contractor, and £1350 for lead flashing under the tiles by another. Does that sound reasonable? I'm obviously rubbish at picking contractors... the zinc chap seemed quite keen on using a lot of technical terms and sucking of breath along with 'well if it was my property...' (and of course the special deal on doing both sides) which puts me off slightly.

I am not a roofer.

I would expect the lead to be more expensive than the zinc (and longer lasting).

I work in some pretty nice houses. The owners of the property tend to have lead rather than zinc when replacing their roof tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back