Making the right noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Making the right noises

BBC News - Labour pledge to make fly-tippers in England and Wales clean up mess

I want vote Labour. I'm reading positive good things. I know want to hear their policy on illegal bad immigration.

Sponsored Links
From the article:
Councils would be able to make offenders remove graffiti or rubbish they had dumped through Fixed Penalty Cleaning Notices, Labour's shadow justice secretary Steve Reed said.
And goes on to say...Fly-tipping currently carries a maximum penalty of five years in jail and an unlimited fine.

How many recieved that sentence out of the 1.1 million exmples caught last year?

I'd have thought 5 years in jail and a £10000 fine would be a better way of dealing with them rather than 'rubbing their noses in the mess they made'.

More details from a Jan 31st article.

Sponsored Links
Holding up a mirror to those who think like Bod...

"We desperately need change, get Labour in!"

(Labour then makes a big cock up of everything leaving the country worse-off) so...

"I think I'll vote Conservative next, they seem to be changing their ways"

(Conservative then makes a big cock up of everything leaving the country worse-off) so...

"The tories are evil, only Labour can sort this mess out now".

(Labour then makes a big cock-up of everything and leaves the country worse off) so....

Well, there's no-one else to vote for, it'll have to be Conservatives

(Conservative then makes a big cock up of everything and leaves the country worse off) so...

We must end this tory stranglehold on everything, get Labour in NOW!

(Labour then makes a big cock-up of everything and leaves the country worse-off) so...

How many recieved that sentence out of the 1.1 million exmples caught last year?

1.1 million breaches. Not caught.
A pile of crap in a layby is an occurrence, but might be half-a-dozen or more breaches. Add to that the investigation (s) for an occurrence, and you might find that your 1.1 million is actually fewer than 200k actual piles of crap discovered and dealt with. The vast majority of which go unpunished.

Some (Many? Most?) occurrences incorporated multiple breaches.
(So, presenting the figures to make the agency look more effective and proactive than they are?)
61% of the 1.1 million were actually "investigations", so f##k all done about it then wrt punishments, in all likelihood.
Less than 1800 fines handed out.

As seen in the number plates thread, blatant ignorance of the law goes unpunished almost all of the time: why does anyone think fly-tippers (who are mostly clandestine anyway) will be identified at all, much less punished?

Like I said, and sorry for being cynical, but it is just noise.

Last edited:
Councils should make all waste disposal free. The money spent on cleaning up fly tipping would surely pay for controlled disposal costs. Then fly tippers would have no excuse, and if caught, could spend their 5 years in jail pondering on why they did not go to the tip.

I know want to hear their policy on illegal bad immigration
Labour would increase home office budget to speed up processing.

but there are no magic solutions to reducing people arriving across the channel by boat: thats an international crisis over which we have little to no control

Councils should make all waste disposal free. The money spent on cleaning up fly tipping would surely pay for controlled disposal costs. Then fly tippers would have no excuse, and if caught, could spend their 5 years in jail pondering on why they did not go to the tip.
Our local waste site is very busy with permanent queuing, money would have to be spent, I agree

Fly tippers when caught get paltry fines.
From TV [progs they're made to pay for the council cleanup. Sod that, put a zero on the end of the cost.
I've seen the odd tv prog where people whine "what can we do?".
Er, stick a load of HD cameras up!
Like this one maybe:
1676739238115.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back