Migration Within EU and its Effect to UK and The Referendum

Sponsored Links
Himmy will be in like a flash later, saying how that isn't true.
Along with a load of bullcarp twisted statistics in an attempt to back it up.

Sponsored Links
Himmy, why do you start these discussions that are full of statistics (and please remember the comment about lies, damned lies etc) yet have no point to them.

We are becoming an overcrowded country with insufficient housing to handle those already here. Rents are rising, and house prices are becoming unaffordable for generation rent. Our schools are similarly overcrowded, and teachers are struggling with kids who can't even speak English, so can't afford to give the sufficient time to those who can. You can't get a doctors appointment, and have to go to A&E to get treatment, and we have to get doctors and nurses from abroad to handle the shortfall.

Immigrants are prepared to work for lower wages, and that depresses wages for everyone else, and the living wage will just push up prices, and then inflation till we reach the next downward plateau.

Trying to justify immigration by quoting people who are already here, is a very poor way to justify letting all and sundry in to the country. We signed up to a trading group, not a federal state, and we have been sold out by successive governments who don't really know what they are doing, and are only looking after their own interests.

As the EU will not allow us to control immigration, and aren't bothered if we go down the pan, we are left with no alternative but to leave the EU before half of the country is dragged down to the living standards that the immigrants are trying to escape from.

He's very quiet tonight, probably scouring the web for more meaningless statistics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Himmy, why do you start these discussions that are full of statistics (and please remember the comment about lies, damned lies etc) yet have no point to them.

We are becoming an overcrowded country with insufficient housing to handle those already here. Rents are rising, and house prices are becoming unaffordable for generation rent. Our schools are similarly overcrowded, and teachers are struggling with kids who can't even speak English, so can't afford to give the sufficient time to those who can. You can't get a doctors appointment, and have to go to A&E to get treatment, and we have to get doctors and nurses from abroad to handle the shortfall.

Immigrants are prepared to work for lower wages, and that depresses wages for everyone else, and the living wage will just push up prices, and then inflation till we reach the next downward plateau.

Trying to justify immigration by quoting people who are already here, is a very poor way to justify letting all and sundry in to the country. We signed up to a trading group, not a federal state, and we have been sold out by successive governments who don't really know what they are doing, and are only looking after their own interests.

As the EU will not allow us to control immigration, and aren't bothered if we go down the pan, we are left with no alternative but to leave the EU before half of the country is dragged down to the living standards that the immigrants are trying to escape from.
You have no proof of that... Post up some meaningless statistics from some unsubstantiated source and I'll believe you.

Sorry F&I, you didn't spot my comment about lies, damn lies etc. which is why I don't use them; I use my eyes, and my ears, and I watch the world as it struggles on a day to day basis. I'm also a landlord, and I deal with English and foreign tenants, and they are happy to use every room as a bedroom - they're surprised that we have a living room that doesn't get slept in. I go to the doctors and see over a third of the people waiting aren't speaking English.

5 years ago, if I evicted a tenant, they went quite quickly, now, they stretch it out to the last day in order to have the best chance to look for somewhere else.

Two years ago I could ring the doctors and get an appointment for that day, now I have to go up there and queue because the lines are permanently engaged. On the few occasions that I've had to take my daughter to A&E, it's a similar situation with all the foreign languages being spoken. What's your area like.

I read the newspapers, and the online news reports, and I sift through it all to get a big picture of where the world is going, and it's not a good picture believe me

I fail to see how anyone can say what would be the state of affairs had things which have happened not happened - and vice versa.
I.e. what it would be like had we not joined the Common Market and fallen into the EU.
I don't see anyone making guesses about what would have been.

You may as well say that there is not enough emigration.
o_O:confused:

How do we know the figures stated are true?
For, or by, which side were they compiled?
The link is provided for you to check the figures as supplied. Of course you can disagree, but it's normal to provide alternative data, rather than to simply cast doubt without any kind of substantiation.

If the Trade Agreement is in anyway similar to the EFTA we can be totally confident that the acceptance of the Schengen Agreement will be included. That will mean the dismantling of our borders with EU countries.
Then it wouldn't be just a trade agreement, surely? If the EU wants to insist that any sort of deal on trade is conditional upon a whole load of other things, such as leaving the U.K.'s border completely open, then the U.K. should just tell the EU "No thanks."
Then what? Please set out a meaningful alternative. Not just a bland, "we'll trade with the rest of the world."
This would be best done in the "Trade" thread.
Remember, the current Free Trade Agreement would end two years after giving notice of exiting EU. It would then take many years, much energy, much expenditure to arrange alternative Trade Agreements with EU or other countries around the world. Bearing in mind also we 'sold out' the Commonwealth when we joined EU. Are they willing to welcome us back with open arms, like a prodigal son returned?

There are about 3.4 million jobs dependent on export to EU.
Dependent in what sense? Are you really trying to suggest that if exports to the EU started to decline that 3.4 million jobs would be lost?
Certainly under jeopardy. How many would be lost, and over what kind of time frame is difficult to predict. But there may be a further influence. If EU imports to UK become more expensive (tit for tat tariffs) the the cost of living in UK could rise significantly, thus reducing disposable income, thus reducing domestic consumption, thus jeopardising further job losses.

Some famous immigrants:
Mo Farah, Sir Anish Kapoor, Kazuo Ishiguro, Ulrika Jonsson, Sigmund Freud, Michael marks (M&S), T S. Elliot, Sir Alec Issigonis, Sir Lew Grade, Duke of Edingburgh, Robert Maxwell, Dame Zaha Hadid, Jung Chang
There are a couple in that list I've never heard of, but several who immigrated to the U.K. long before it was part of the open-borders EU, and long before it even joined the EEC. So what does membership of the EU have to do with them being in the U.K. and whatever achievements they may have had?
Simply to demonstrate that migration within EU is not purely detrimental. The benefits at least equal the disadvantages.

Interesting article from a right wing paper. We don't know who wrote the article but we do know who worked for the magazine:
Before joining The Spectator as editor, (Boris) Johnson...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectator

Ahh so the Spectator are just telling lies then ??

I especially liked these contradictions:
Duke of Edingburgh,
But any list of immigrants does not include the sons and daughters of immigrants who were born in UK and went on to give UK so much. Members of society who would simply not be here or received their education if their parents had not made the sometimes desperate journey to give their children a better chance in life. Parents who may have arrived here penniless but made UK their home, struggling to to provide for their children and in so doing proving that immigration has been, on the whole, beneficial to UK.
I think you're in danger of becoming embroiled in minutiae.
And, I could use your words:
I fail to see how anyone can say what would be the state of affairs had things which have happened not happened - and vice versa.
I.e. what it would be like had we not joined the Common Market and fallen into the EU.
How could you possibly suggest what UK would be like without D of E?

If the continental EU is soooooo good,, why are these asylum seekers massing in Calais? Why did they not follow EU law (and why didn't these EU countries follow EU law) and claim asylum (make them claim asylum) in the first EU country they set foot in? Why do EU country after country, pass them on forever north-westwards? Let's face it, France doesn't want them, Germany didn't want them, Italy didn't want them, Greece didn't want them, Austria didn't want them,,, Talk about passing the buck.

Sponsored Links
Back