More on Roma folk

Was around that area in '66 ... Saw Hotel where almost all residents were permanent, few hundred quid per day !! Saw the yachts in harbour with inches of barnacles just below water line, relatively cheap accomodation I supposed - topless babes and tubby guys with big cigars on deck... roads had the twin F1 black rubber tracks on them !!
And England won the World Cup at home while I was there !!
Beautiful place, with a deep smell of dosh about it !!
P

Sponsored Links
reads like a forum for the national front, surely we should welcome these people from less fortunate backgrounds we are after all a civilised society and have set higher standards for ourselves.

Richardp said.

reads like a forum for the national front, surely we should welcome these people from less fortunate backgrounds we are after all a civilised society and have set higher standards for ourselves.

I assume by your comment you think we are being racist, in actual fact we are not. The concern is the never ending stream of people entering our Island. We do not have the room nor the resources to cope as it is.

Whilst talking about political parties it is worth mentioning that none of the mainstream parties have a mandate for EU enlargement or even being in the EU in the first place.

Much as you may not like them, the NF, BNP etc, are up front in their manifesto's about these problems. The mainstream parties have been undemocratic in their actions by not asking and also clearly ignoring the public's concerns. The Lab/Lib/Con status quo, are all guilty of this and are very dictatorial in their actions.

We are supposed to be a democracy and the above should bother you more than extremist (although legitimate) parties, who will never get power anyway.

The BNP and the NF are not normal political parties, but racist extremists who want to kick out all non-white people from Britain and, in the words of the BNP leader, "hang race traitors", in which group he includes "liberal journalists". The BNP and NF try to present a more respectable image but they are the same extremists that they always were.

Sponsored Links
Totally in agreement Richard.
It is so easy to sit in an archair and criticise others when you really don't know what it is like to suffer.
To even consider that the preachings of these vile people that pretend to be a political party could be true or right , just shows how the media can make people believe anything, we are NOT being overrun by refugees ALL the western countries are helping these unfortunates, not just GB!
Oh how i wish the boot was on the other foot sometimes so that the people who only think of themselves saw what it was really like to be in fear of your life, to be hungry, to have all your posessions taken from you.
God help us over here if anything happened like that to this population,
I wonder what these idiots in the BNP NF would do? come crawling to the "foreigners" for pity?
Never let the likes of these fascists(BNP NF) rise again! I believe the British government has done it's duty in helping others less fortunate and should rightly continue to do so. we have enough wealth and good living over here to do our share to help our brother man. for christ's sake it's christmas soon what happened to all the good will?
What makes me so sad is the attitude of some that gives them the right to think that they should live comfortably whilst not caring for another's plight. Too many people only think of themselves these days!

RIGHT............STOP all the talk, lets be australian about this. NOBODY, yes nobody enters this country unless they have pre- applied. If u come here on the off chance make sure u have a return ticket. This country is a powder keg waiting to go off. We feel it is a crime to be english and the sooner the govt recognises this the better!. I am not rascist but a nationalist and MY RIGHTS are not thought about. So to all you do gooders "lets help everyone" ( kendor) CRAP!! lets help ourselves, and richardp GET A LIFE

God this winds me up!................... My partner who does not read a paper, who does not watch the news, who gives money to charity. Said to me the other day that she would vote the BNP because of the old people in this country!...... answers on a postcard and it needs to be good!

Thanks for that jasy I respect your right to reply and I wont stoop to personal abuse this is after all a forum for debate its interesting that you refer to me a a "do gooder" so what does that make you? a do badder maybe?

It makes me someone who is sick and tired of people like you who are more interested in the rights of the individual who wants to live here than in the rights of the the country they live in. The country that will not exist because you wont let it. And by the way a straw poll of this country feels the way i do. Not getting personal but you are either a student or a teacher?? So take down the flag under your name because you do not deserve it!

There none so blind as those who can't see

Richardp and kendor, this means you!

Don't you realise that we have had enough of namby pamby do gooders?

How bad will it have to get before you listen to what the population is saying?

The UK population has had enough, be warned, when we snap we will snap good style!

BTW please don't take this personally it is only my opinion.

Richardp said:
reads like a forum for the national front

Richardp said:
The BNP and the NF are not normal political parties, but racist extremists who want to kick out all non-white people from Britain

I agree with your second comments, I hate racism as well as many other forms of discrimination. However you will note I have highlighted "non-white people".

What is your definition of non-white people? Surely Roma wouldn't come under the category of non-white people? If they are categorised as white people, you have proven your first (rather crass) comment to be incorrect and unfounded.

Nothing written here has anything that could, by any stretch of an imagination, be taken to sound "like a forum for the national front".

kendor said:
we have enough wealth and good living over here to do our share to help our brother man. for christ's sake it's christmas soon what happened to all the good will?
What makes me so sad is the attitude of some that gives them the right to think that they should live comfortably whilst not caring for another's plight. Too many people only think of themselves these days!

Put your money where your mouth is. If you are so concerned with the plight of humanity abroad, what are you doing sitting in your warm home surfing the internet? There are plenty of places in the world that need your help, and plenty of people who will take you there.

You live in a financially and politically affluent society, make use of your birthright and help these people in their own countries.

Boy you lot got wound up didn't you! well just try seeing it from another angle for a change instead of through rose tinted glasses and you may get the point that myself and richardp are making.
as for jasy god help us if he's ever in charge of the country!!!
looks like i hit a sore point with you lot, you are so posession orientated that a perfectly legitimate comment makes you bay for blood??!??
Adam cool down mate before you get a coronary, you made the wrong judgement of me(if your comment wasn't directed personally at me then i apologise and i made the wrong judgement).
I do help out and have done so for some time, both monetry and with my spare time the internet/email helps with this work funnily enough.
now calm down you lot and listen!
I don't really care if you don't wish to help others that's up to you and your consciences but by the same token, i'm entitled to my opinion and i was making a general statement, the fact that so many of you took it the way you did, did i make you feel guilty in any way? did i hit a sore point? did you take what i said personally? Then sorry but that's your problem not mine, i'm just saying what i feel. I love the way you call people do gooders as though it's a dirty word, whats wrong with a person trying to help his fellow man?
Now let me make a judgement, I find it somehow disconcerting that there are people out there that react so angrily and i can only feel their hatred of anyone that threatens their cosy little lifestyles as something not natural.
How can any NORMAL human being not feel for the plight of others unless they are so self centred that they feel threatened that their lives will change, oh come on grow up for god's sake and live in the real world.

Oh by the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS to one and all!

Doesn't really bother me, glad you don't take it personally though! :LOL:

I firmly believe that we all have a right to an opinion, but it does feel that there are "thought police" who deny that right far too often. People are too fearful of being branded some kind of fascist by broaching such subjects.

At risk of sounding like a clichéd "I'm not racist but" comment, I have a few non-white friends and colleagues who are mildly racist (inappropriate comments rather than hatred) and anti-immigration. Despite any impressions you may get of me from this forum, in person I would be too afraid of making my feelings on the subject of immigration known for fear of people thinking I am racist.

Let it be known that I am by no means racist, nor do I have hatred of any specific belief system. Despite what you may read I am not even mildly xenophobic. I might refer to the French as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" from time to time, but that doesn't stop me eating French cheese, drinking their wine and speaking their language, and I do enjoy doing all these things.

did i make you feel guilty in any way? did i hit a sore point?

I no longer do any voluntary work but I help various charities financially, a tad under 5% of my pay every month is taken care of by direct debits with several charities (including Oxfam, but the rest are largely UK charities). I didn't put that in my earlier post as I thought that would sound like "Well I send them money every month, surely that is enough!". :LOL:

Good to hear you help out, if only everyone did more of this instead of just moaning. I was a member of Amnesty International but I left due to 2 reasons: i) they lied to me in order to get me to join, and ii) I found the majority of them to be a bunch of whining to**pot trustafarians who liked to sit around in their designer-priced crusty-ware talking about how bad capitalism is, shouting at me if I happened to be eating something made by Nestlé. One of them telling me all about how he travelled "like one of the people" in India, and how hot it was when the airconditioning failed on the train (yeeeess...). Or the one who told me that buying a new bike instead of using my old one wasted valuable resources, who then received a brand spanking new boat from his daddy.

The problem is, very few people actually get off the high horse and do something. I have respect for someone who works for a cause they believe in (such as yourself Kendor).

Now let me make a judgement, I find it somehow disconcerting that there are people out there that react so angrily.

I was not angry, life is too short! However, if I were to pick one point that might have made me angry it would be because someone effectively branded me a fascist.

Me, Racist?
My four grandparents were English, Irish Scotish and Welsh. My Welsh, sheep farming Grandfather was the son of a German. My English Grandmother was the daughter of a French woman, while her grandfather was an Italian. My Irish Grandfathers father was born a Romani.

When the Fair comes to town, my children (and grandchildren) still get free rides, due to the family relationship, (even after all these generations). I know a group of travellers that return to Essex every summer. They have a small plot of land (on long term lease from the church). They carry out work such as mending stone walls, maintaining hedges, sharpening lawnmowers and garden shears. They are welcomed by the local community and their neighbours even maintain the site for them, in their absense.

Like it or not, though, there are groups of "travellers" that use criminal activities as their sole means of income. They rely on the fact that, our police do not hold people in custody for minor offences. Being of "no fixed abode", there is no point prosecuting them. They simply wouldn't turn up for a court case.

My personal friends hail from nationalities including, Spanish, American, Israeli, Arab, Morocan, Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, West Indian, Serb, Croat, Greek and Turkish. I'm not particularly well travelled, just par for the course, being brought up and working, in and around the East London and the home counties.

On the issue of Assylum seekers, the way our government deals with them is a big part of the problem. Did you know that Assylum seekers are not allowed to work during the first six months of their occupation of this country. Furthermore, the state handouts they get (contrary to popular belief) is pittiful. Most assylum seekers I have known would be more than happy, to do the most menial of jobs, to earn their keep. In fact, most end up doing "cash in hand" work, just to make ends meet. Any system that stigmatises someone, for earning a living has got to have some serious flaws, don't you think?

Unfortunately, on the other side of the coin, I have also known several "Assylum seekers" that play the system for everything it is worth. They have a busy schedule, visiting a different Job Centre, each day, with a different name for each of them. Excuse me if I find this repulsive.

As a suggestion, what would be the problem with allowing (even compelling) assylum seekers to take on menial jobs, while their application is being dealt with. It would reduce the burden on our tax payers, reduce the power that vice rings have over their victims, and maybe even reduce muggings in areas such as Folkstone and Dover. Furthermore, it would reduce the animosity directed towards them. Coming over here to play the system, would also become a pointless exercise. (No point having five names, if it means doing five full time jobs).

We obviously have a problem with our image. Some foreigners see us as the land of milk and honey. You have to wonder, why would someone with such limited means, want to traverse the whole of Europe to arrive here, when Poland, Austria and Germany, are all right on their doorstep. Come to think of it, Romanis on Aeroplanes?

Slightly off thread:
A few years back, one of my mates (a college lecturer) was called into the faculty office to be confronted by two policemen. They had arrived as a complaint was made, that he had discriminated against a Pakistani, by not allowing him onto a course. The ligitimate reason was that there were no places left. The complaint was dropped as, my mate, is Pakistani. (can't tell from his accent over the phone though, it's broad cockney).

Another of my mates (a Spaniard by birth) was recently reprimanded for referring to the "Blackboard". Yeah, OK, so it should have been a Chalk board, but, for Pete's sake, how on earth can anyone find this offensive enough to make an official complaint. Ironically, his audience were all student mental health nurses. They're going to have to toughen up a bit if they are going to survive in their chosen occupation. As it happens, he sometimes calls me "white trash" while I call him "a greasy dego", in light hearted banter. Just as well we're best of buddies eh?

Sponsored Links
Back