National identities

There is obviously a natural tendency in homo sapiens to work too hard gathering far more wealth than he can ever use. Some call it the protestant work ethic but somehow I don't see what anybody's religion has got to do with it.

I bet it goes back to a time when food was hard to come by. If you lived on old bones left behind by lions you would probably take home more than you could eat in case there were no more for the rest of the week. ("What's a week" I here some caveman ask.) Up here in Northern Europe those who hoarded the most food and firewood for the winter were the ones who survived.

This habit no doubt got us to the moon but a little common sense should tell us that it is now optional rather than essential to survival. Instead of working our balls off earning as much money as we can then looking for something to spend it on wouldn't it be better to work out how much we really need then find the easiest legal way of earning it.

How much of the stuff we spend that hard earned cash on is really necessary. You can only eat so much without getting fat and you can only drive one car at a time. Recreation? Sex is free!

I'm mostly with Kendor. The French may appear lazy to us (though I think the Spaniards are worse - or is that better) but maybe they just have more sense.

PS: You'll never get seriously rich by working yourself into an early grave though you will die a bit better off. It's a matter of luck; being in the right place at the right time. If you happen to own a small record company and Mike Oldfield walks in with the Tubular Bells master tape you're b****y lucky!

Sponsored Links
Felix, in fact you're talking about 'the pyramid of welbeing'. There are five layers, and once you've satisfied the bottom layer (food, shelter) you will be looking to satisfy the next layer (socializing upto education etc). Once you're getting wealthier and wealhtier you're going up in the pyramid (being able to satisfy more 'needs') untill there's nothing left to satisfy (most of us are way of that level :confused: )
Nowadays we would call it economical progress, but in fact it's nothing more than natural behaviour.

felix said:
PS: You'll never get seriously rich by working yourself into an early grave though you will die a bit better off. It's a matter of luck; being in the right place at the right time. If you happen to own a small record company and Mike Oldfield walks in with the Tubular Bells master tape you're b****y lucky!

Do you know the story of the print company who 'stumbled' upon Harry Potter? Not only here in the UK, but also in The Netherlands, the bigger ones didn't want to touch it in the beginning, one very small one did and we all know the rest of the story :D :D

kendor said:
jasy said:
hello muppet, well at 0430 in the morning you must be......well............sad :LOL: :LOL:
Sorry Dogbreath i'm working, whilst you lay in bed you lazy git! On the dole are we?

no, mate i dont need to work in the wee small hours, i earn enough during the day...........what is it cleaning office blocks at that time muppet?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Oh and i am lazy am i??What were you saying in an earlier post about it not being all about work and it should not be the main thing and there is you working at 0430 hours.............who is sad?? :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Woodyoulike for restoring some intelligent debate to this thread! I heard about this five layer pyramid concept once before but never bothered to find out exactly what the layers were. You're right but I would add one extra detail; not all pyramids are equal.

You don't have to be particularly wealthy to reach the top of mine. Conversely, some unfortunate souls will never reach the tops of theirs no matter how much money they make. I vaguely remember some company director who, with about two million pounds in the bank, ended up in prison for swindling an extra two million. His was one mighty high pyramid!

Sponsored Links
felix said:
Thanks Woodyoulike for restoring some intelligent debate to this thread! I heard about this five layer pyramid concept once before but never bothered to find out exactly what the layers were. You're right but I would add one extra detail; not all pyramids are equal.

You don't have to be particularly wealthy to reach the top of mine. Conversely, some unfortunate souls will never reach the tops of theirs no matter how much money they make. I vaguely remember some company director who, with about two million pounds in the bank, ended up in prison for swindling an extra two million. His was one mighty high pyramid!
Not part of the pheonix group by any chance ??

jasy said:
kendor said:
jasy said:
hello muppet, well at 0430 in the morning you must be......well............sad :LOL: :LOL:
Sorry Dogbreath i'm working, whilst you lay in bed you lazy git! On the dole are we?

no, mate i dont need to work in the wee small hours, i earn enough during the day...........what is it cleaning office blocks at that time muppet?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Oh and i am lazy am i??What were you saying in an earlier post about it not being all about work and it should not be the main thing and there is you working at 0430 hours.............who is sad?? :LOL: :LOL:
while you are at work i'm at home sitting in the garden enjoying the sun so who's the sad git i think it's you :LOL: when i said you were a lazy git it's because you are probably on the dole claiming it while working on the side(as a drug dealer?),typical scrounger!

Back