National identities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well the Germans (and us allegedly) are known for their engineering skills, this is what we do. Plus our farmers are excellent producers.
France is known for it's farming abilities, which , to be honest, they are crap at, hence the heavy subsidies, if they don't get there way they burn our sheep ( change from making white flags I guess ). And they want to make us give up our rebate ???

Sponsored Links
My experience of French culture in general (and one which I have read about in "cultural awareness" texts) is one of " 'snot my fault", i.e. a lack of personal responsibility. It's not just me, sociologists say it too!

This manifests itself through Chirac with his "UK should give up EU rebate as a gesture of solidarity". Solidarity? Why doesn't France make a gesture of solidarity by bringing it's EU net spend in line with that of the UK? That would make up the shortfall without us having to give up our rebate. Why should we pay 15 times as much when we get less out? And why should we be contributing to poor countries anyway? This is a trading community, not a humanitarian mission!

If we are richer than France, it's only because of our national worth as people. Perhaps instead of having a 35-hour week and months of annual leave they should work a bit harder? The "all work and no play" ethic is viewed as an Anglo-Saxon one by my French colleagues, perhaps this is why we are allegedly richer as a country?

Or perhaps Chirac should come here and try out our NHS, visit "asylum seekers", join the dole queues in Longbridge, then he'll see why we are short of cash.

AdamW said:
Or perhaps Chirac should come here and try out our NHS, visit "asylum seekers", join the dole queues in Longbridge, then he'll see why we are short of cash.

No, just put him on the M20 towards Dover when Operation Stack is in place again due to French-whatever-profession-is-due-to-have-industrial-action-next are blocking Calais ! !

I agree with you Adam W, as a rule we brits don't generally sit on our arses ( well I know I don't), we get up go to work, get on with it. The french (and others) seem to think we owe them a living. Do they not remember it was us ( and the hated Yanks) who got them there freedom ? Ungrateful bastards is what I say.

Sponsored Links
they think a 35 hour week is a hardship. If the average french worker spent more time a t work and less on strike we would not have to subsidise their government. Lazy b.ast*rds!!

jasy said:
they think a 35 hour week is a hardship. If the average french worker spent more time a t work and less on strike we would not have to subsidise their government. Lazy b.ast*rds!!
A man after me own heart !!

well, french produced food actually has flavour.
..... and that sums up uk farmers. dont it. loads of produce...that yer end up binning.

wilhelm said:
..... and that sums up uk farmers. dont it. loads of produce...that yer end up binning.
The only really french thing with flavour is actually a truffle, which a pig has to find, the average frenchman being too lazy to get off his arse and go and look. As for french taste,,,, perlease, don't, you'll have me laughing in my warm belgian beer next :!: ;)

jasy said:
Feel sorry for the brain washed people like you, that think we are on this earth just to work! as for lazy, what has reducing the working week got to do with laziness, sometimes your logic beggars belief!

i wonder how many french folk are tripping over themselves to buy a nice little farm in the uk?, you know, one with character, a bit of diversity, one that produces edible food.

i dare say they have their "no turning back " programs, where some lunatic wants to emigrate to this sceptered isle....... probably to open a fish and chip shop in barnsley, or run a big mac franchise.

surely you dont have to be one of

these

to work it out?

Scoby_Beasley said:
wilhelm said:
The only really french thing with flavour is actually a truffle, which a pig has to find, the average frenchman being too lazy to get off his a**e and go and look. As for french taste,,,, perlease, don't, you'll have me laughing in my warm belgian beer next :!: ;)

I have never had any truffles but i used to deliver them to resturants years ago, but the French truffle is a poor relation to the Italian truffle, dont know why but they are more expensive
At that time in 1984 the price was £150 per pound, and a small tin with about 2 in liquid was £15, i hate to think what they sell for now

i think youre right, after doing a search on truffle.

and then i come across

this

i dont think so......

;) the thought of them kkn rich ijeeets swanning of to france to sell truffles ...did me head .......

in

:LOL: ;)

in fact the words .....

"and Oliver, a globe-trotting IT expert."

made me realise these bengal lancers need.......

some kind of pineapple arrangement..

near to where they sit.

kind of thing. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back