No offense ppl

I was just remembering that Scottish comedy series "The high life", where they refer to Scotland as "Scotia", as I believe Rab C Nesbitt did too.

I tried to find out Gaelic for "Scotland" before, but strangely it doesn't appear to be that well known. Certainly not as well known as "Eire", "Cymru", "Kernow" et al. Probably because more Welsh people speak Welsh, although I doubt more people speak Cornish than Scots Gaelic. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Talking of cross ....
Two nuns are sitting in a traffic jam waiting for the lights to change, when without warning, a vampire appears in front of the winscreen.
"Oh, no sister, what shall we do?" stammers the younger nun.
"Do not worry," comes the reply. "Simply show him your cross."

The younger nun promptly winds down the window and yells, "eF off, you little barsteward!"
;)

ZenStalinist said:
The Union flag is NOT our official flag. It is used de facto. It it technically the ROYAL flag - i.e. the queen's private flag.

Neither do we have an official language - outside of Wales or the Scottish Western Isles.

So there you have it. The suggested flag is as official as the current one, and our schools should be teaching Welsh and Scottish Gaelic before English...

*Plays Sex Pistols* Ah, so glad we don't technically have a national anthem either!

Why, we have a good flag. The reason the welsh ain't on it is cause we don't want them icon_lol.gif

Oooh! And the Northern Irish aren't there because they don't want US! ;)

Since when has the union flag been the Queens flag????, surely hers is the Royal Standard. can't remember The Union Flag flying when she was in residence. ;)................my favourite subject!

I don't know, but since I read it in a BBC report somewhere, I took it to be credible.

Sponsored Links
In the UK we don't have a "keeper of the flag" as such. I believe in other countries this job is allocated to a particular government department (although I doubt as their whole job!).

However, even if it isn't officially our national flag, it is used enough that for all intents and purposes it is our national flag. I mean, show that flag to anyone in the world (including far reaches of the third world) they will know who it represents. It is even included on the flags of so many other countries (although interestingly not Canada... perhaps they thought it would be antagonistic to the French-speaking Canadians).

I dream of the day when we all have a completely blank flag :)

Jasy said;
Since when has the union flag been the Queens flag????, surely hers is the Royal Standard. can't remember The Union Flag flying when she was in residence. ;)................my favourite subject![/quote]

Your FAVOURITE subject?
Ah well,it takes all sorts.
Thankfully

Still hammering

u obviously have just realised that there is something called humour on this site :mrgreen:

I dream of the day when we all have a completely blank flag icon_smile.gif

Like the Libyans?

Yaah, okay, it's made from green fabric, but it's blank. Blank green fabric it is!

ZenStalinist said:
I dream of the day when we all have a completely blank flag icon_smile.gif

Like the Libyans?

Yaah, okay, it's made from green fabric, but it's blank. Blank green fabric it is!
Nah more on the lines of Transparent :)
Let's all live under the one flag of the Mother Earth.

Or we could go for a United Federation of Planets... :D

fedflag.gif

Of course, an Earth flag could be a contentious issue especially if it includes an image of the Earth. We don't appreciate this because the UK is slap in the middle, near the top. However, those who live nearer the edges may complain. In fact, in the Southern hemisphere some people use "upside-down" maps with south at the top. :LOL:

Then there is the issue of what the flag would have to represent. The Earth as a whole is mainly covered by water, so perhaps a blue flag? Or perhaps a black flag with a blue disc in the middle of it? Obviously we couldn't use anything that could be interpreted as religious imagery (whereas many current flags are). I am wondering if the French tricolore somehow represents their tenant "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité", if so then this could be a good start. However, this brings up another problem: we can't make it look anything like current national flags. I for one think that tricolour striped flags look rubbish, no matter what colours are used. :confused:

I am not so sure it would be easy to convince everyone to use it either, in my experience it is hard enough to convince some Britons that the Union Flag is their flag even after hundreds of years, and I doubt most people can say exactly how many stars are on the EU flag (12, isn't it?). In the US there are people who use the Confederate flag (usually in addition to the Stars and Stripes), yet in the US it is illegal to fly this flag on your own flagpole even if you also display the S and S.

Of course, with an Earth Flag, no-one can debate whether or not they live on the Earth. However, this flag would be seen as a symbol of power of whatever worldwide council we would have. And people who disagree with the philosophy or policies of this council (as we all would from time to time) may see the flag as representative of the council (in the same way that people in certain countries burn the flags of certain other countries).

Sponsored Links
Back