Not as described

Sooner you escalate it though ebay/ PayPal the better imho.

Maybe give him one chance to refund 25% of cost if that's acceptable to you.

I've only had to raise a dispute once for item not as described (through PayPal iirc) and it was dealt with fairly and I got a full refund.

Sponsored Links
Ebay has become a popular site for scammers.
I only buy from sellers registered as a business and with thousands of feedbacks.
Occasionally I break this rule but only for items worth a few pounds.
I never buy from sellers abroad.
When i sell something I make clear that scammers will be reported to the police and I don't post to local shops, po boxes or business premises.
This is because they receive the item, claim that it's broken and want a refund.
Sometimes they claim the box is empty.
I take a video of the packing and mark across the seems with a permanent marker a unique sign.
I then take a picture of this in the shop when sending.
This saved the day when a scammer claimed the item was not in the box.
I sent them the video and the pictures an explained that I was going to report them to action fraud.
They disappeared.
Another scammer received his package at his business address and the box was opened.
Courier blamed the receptionist, the receptionist blamed a colleague who had taken the package to the recipient.
Ebay sided with the buyer but fortunately it was a £10 item and the courier refunded as a gesture of goodwill.
Ordered a gym ball once and received a rubber band.
Seller said the courier had swapped items.
Ebay refunded me.
Get a full refund and buy from a reputable seller.
Ebay sides always with the buyer.

given the condition, what would have been your top price in the auction ?
Are there many others on sale at eBay , that you can replace the item, or is it rare?
You can search and get the sales price on Sold items , maybe that will give you an idea of price for a similar NON Perfect example and a good reference for what you may want to offer

Whats the cost of postage ? - I assume you already paid that - And so has the seller , so as said earlier , 2 lots of postage to come off his profit and ebay fees possibly.

Not sure what ebay do about Sellers Fees 10% still ? but includes postage now i believe , He should get back his paypal , if he refunds

BUT there is a lot of cost associated with eBay, which the seller may not want to worry about , if he gave a discount.

Decide on a price you are prepared to pay, and if they dont accept then you can send back -
OR do you want to keep it ?

Sponsored Links
I've thought about this and I will probably reject the item NAD.

I shall have to take precautions in sending it back.

I thought if item was faulty or not as described, the seller is responsible for return postage. It would be up to them if they want it insured.
In fact, once you reject it, the buyer provides a return prepaid label.
Take a video of the packing process and sign across the tape with a black marker.

Underneath the tape?
No, across the tape, so if the courier cuts or removes it, it will be obvious.
Let the buyer know that you're doing all of this, so if they receive a package tampered with, they would immediately know.
Another thing I started doing is write on the package "tamper proof ink inside".
Although this doesn't make any sense, the animals slaving as couriers for Hermes, seem scared to open it and remove its content.
They seem to prefer electronic devices.
My friend uses another trick: he prints a sticker and puts it on the package "content: used cutlery set".
Seems to be another good deterrent.

Just reading this thread has upset my chill.

Keep it if you want it, send it back if you don't. Claim off Ebay or Paypal if need be, you are fully protected. None of this nonsense about videoing packing or special coded labels and what not. Just post the thing back if you don't want it.

Much ado about nothing.

Just reading this thread has upset my chill.

Keep it if you want it, send it back if you don't. Claim off Ebay or Paypal if need be, you are fully protected. None of this nonsense about videoing packing or special coded labels and what not. Just post the thing back if you don't want it.

Much ado about nothing.

It was for future reference.
Of course i would be sending it back and there won't be any problem considering that the seller had admitted the item was already scratched.

OK.

I have finally been told by eBay that they have refunded me.

My PP account has registered the refund, but I can't see it in my bank account yet.

The seller admitted there were marks, but claimed he had not noticed them, then said he thought they were just marks from the case that would rub off.
I kept saying I was not happy, that I bid on the basis that it was a pristine phone.

I asked for a full refund.
He claimed he had not been paid, so he could not give me any refund. Then he offered a £15 refund.

I rang eBay and they said that as it was not as described, they themselves would issue a tracked prepaid label. This never appeared. Another call to eBay and they said they would ask the seller to send one.

After a few days, I got a message with an untracked label. I understand that in cases like this, the seller takes responsibility for the return, so if the phone went missing, it would be on them. So I documented all the packing. Took it to the PO and got a certificate of posting and the Horizon printed receipt showing the time of drop-off.
Told the seller I had done all of this, as well as taking a picture of the phone's screen showing the IMEI numbers.

(Handy hint, dial *#06# and the phone will show these numbers on screen).

The seller acknowledged its return at 1020 this morning. Not bad, considering it didn't leave my local PO until 1630 the day before.

He said that eBay would refund me. I knew this was wrong so asked him to refund. He said eBay would.

OOI, I looked on eBay and found the phone relisted for sale. Interestingly, the description was updated to mention the damage, bit it only described it as slight.

By this time, I was really peed off. I sent him a message saying the item that you have received my payment for is back up for sale and I have not had a refund and to refund me immediately.

I got a message saying he was talking to eBay and to be patient. Half an hour later I had a message saying eBay were going to refund me.

This is the first time I have asked for a refund because of NAD.

I have to say the process was not seamless and it was annoying that one CSA told me they would send me a tracked label which never materialised. That meant I had to rely on an obstructive seller to send me a returns label.

I've a similar situation with a Lego set.

Wife bought a Jurassic park Lego dinosaur pen set from eBay, the listing advised that the Lego was based on a particular set, but the dinosaurs included were not genuine Lego.

He then stated sold as seen.

We didn't mind about the fake dinosaurs as he has genuine Lego ones already but he wanted the pen to put them in.

From initial looking at the poor quality photos it appeared that it was all there except for the crane that was part of the set, which again was fine, however now I have spent a whole day building it, there is at least 20% of the parts missing, I've robbed some bits out of a random box we have but there is still a lot missing, mostly items you can't actually see and form part of the base structure.

The set is made up of 4 seperate buildings that all click together to make a large Dino pen.

Had he actually of stated that a number of parts that weren't visible were missing we wouldn't have bought it.

I'm going to contact the seller tomorrow and see what he says, I believe he will hide behind his wording of sold as seen, so I'll end up escalating with eBay.

Sponsored Links
Back