Old Conservatives don't understand

Sponsored Links
That was the ability of two single people to claim it and a married couple only the once not that miras was wrong which is why he kept it . Do try and keep up
You have something to back that up ?

I'm not struggling to keep up, look at the info I posted. Backed up what I said

Sponsored Links
No need for large council estates, which can get problematic but all councils will own small parcels of land suitable for small estates of 30 or so new homes with a mix of types.
I would agree with that.
I'm sat now in a house that was previously a council house (been a number of owners since the original council tenant bought it). Around here I think there's something like around 1/3 of the houses still under HA ownership, with 2/3 now being privately owned. - which is which being obvious since a few years ago when they had a big program re-rendering all the HA ones.
At one time, it had a bit of a reputation as a council estate, now it's seen as somewhere nice to live - nothing takes long to sell here.
So yes, I'd agree that having small pockets mixed in with private ownership helps avoid the problems and/or stigma that can go with large scale "council estates". One idea that pops into my head is that perhaps rather than "building estates" themselves, councils/HAs could buy off plan a few houses in new developments ? That could help get developments under way that might otherwise struggle for cash flow, could potentially be part of the "X% affordable" quota, and continue the situation we have here where there's an integrated mix of private and social housing.

He sure is.
I have noticed your standards have slipped of late.

But then again you’ve always been a poor loser.

Did he ask how many jabs you’ve taken “2 I’d say” ? Let’s hope you don’t get another Sunday thread deleted

Last edited:
To be fair, according to that document, the tax relief existed before then, it was changed to "at source" in 83.
"Mortgage interest relief was introduced in 1969 to give relief for the interest paid on
loans for the purchase or improvement of land. These categories of interest relief
were subsequently expanded to include the relief for interest on loans to purchase life
annuities where the annuitants were over 65.
Initially relief was given for interest on the full amount of a loan of any size. The relief
was subsequently restricted and is now limited to interest on £30,000 of a loan.
Before April 1983, the allowable interest was deducted from taxable income, either in
an assessment or by increasing the PAYE (Pay As You Earn) code number. In April
1983 the mortgage interest relief at source scheme (MIRAS) was introduced under
which the borrower pays the lender the interest less the tax relief."

So gant may have had a mortgage with the interest relief in 79, but it wouldn't have been MIRAS as the "at source" part of that wasn't around then.

Sponsored Links
Back