Old Conservatives don't understand

Sponsored Links
No differing effect on the partially-sighted or otherwise less able then.
I posted the before already.

1709053371622.png

Planters aren't placed bumper to bumper.

Sponsored Links
What is the point of permitting "out of hours" parking, if the space is taken - full time - by a planter?

Was my (flippant) point :)
That is exactly the point.

Out of hours cars could drive on the street and park.
During the day it was pedestrian only
Businesses apparently like the arrangement.

If council didn't want parking they could have changed the parking restrictions. But they knew that was unpopular, so they installed planters to physically block the space. Cars are allowed to park but there is no space to park, you cannot park between the planters.

So you have a space that was open to people during the day - now blocked and open for cars to park at night, now blocked.

And they have now decided to remove them or some of them, as they agree they are too many and too big.

How is that anything other than stupid.

Last edited:
seems like this bunch do have expertise in the areas they have responsibilites

chief executive: master's degree in economics and a further master's degree in management practice.
Director of public health Justin Varney: used to be a GP
strategic director of housing: management accountant with experience in private sector
director of HR: law graduate with a career in HR in private and public sector

above proves otherwise, maybe you have some examples where councils employ senior staff without relevant experience

Unfortunately you are repeating lazy tropes without supporting evidence

They are not the elected leaders of Birmingham council. Do you really need me to explain how it works?

And what do you notice about the management structure ...Its been decades if at all since they have worked in the real world were you have accountability for the money spent and management decisions

True story they were knocking down our council office during a wee tour around the depts giving them the pep talk of how the move etc will be good .
On visiting the IT dept they said well you wont have to move at present .
Why wont we have to move .
And straight faced chief exec said well your based in the basement its only the building we are knocking down .
When the staff pished themselves laughing and asking about the hundreds of tons of rubble the sudden realisation spread across their faces .
And people say they are obviously not idiots

They run the council day to day. They are obviously not idiots.
who are responsible for agreeing policies about provision of services and how the Council's money is spent?

who decides which policies the Council should pursue, ensure that they are carried out and monitor services provided to ensure that they are delivered in the most efficient and effective way?

That is exactly the point.

If council didn't want parking they could have changed the parking restrictions. But they knew that was unpopular, so they installed planters to physically block the space. Cars are allowed to park but there is no space to park, you cannot park between the planters.

Have to agree from an aesthetic perspective: those planters look like packing crates filled with soil. Not a pretty sight. I haven't seen any council planter i'd put in my garden, come to think of it. Drawn up by a commitee lacking any imagination.

who are responsible for agreeing policies about provision of services and how the Council's money is spent?

who decides which policies the Council should pursue, ensure that they are carried out and monitor services provided to ensure that they are delivered in the most efficient and effective way?
Very rarely are proposals by senior officers overturned at councillor level.

And you've still a long way to go to prove all councillors are stupid.

Sponsored Links
Back