Pfizer vaccine report

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oxford / AstraZenica one has released interim results. 70% overall effectiveness, but that's trying two different delivery methods. Two full doses gives 60% protection whilst 1.5 gives 90%. My immunology isn't good enough to get why that happens but clearly someone thought it might be the case for it to be included in the trial.

Which means that the 300 million doses ordered would treat 200 million people.

It's also a more conventional Vaccine which is easier to distribute and store. They're doing it at minimal cost to the third world so it's very good news for humanity as a whole and good news for us.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/azd1222hlr.html

Sponsored Links
Produces antibodies and ok with older people but no tests on what happens if some one is infected
That sort of trial would be very unusual. Most vaccines are one expected to be used before a person is exposed, although there are exceptions like Polio where it is also used post exposure.

For it to work you'd need to be able to identify people before they get symptoms or do ring vaccination. I don't think either is likely with Covid-19.

The AstraZenica one was being trialed in several different countries, but they might be doing more detailed analysis for the locally based people where getting samples back is easier.

Last edited:
What is now becoming clear is that the pharma corporates are set to make a killing on the back of this 'virus', whether they are associated with an educational institution or not...

I ain't going to be a financial 'guinea pig' anytime soon!

Sponsored Links
What is now becoming clear is that the pharma corporates are set to make a killing on the back of this 'virus', whether they are associated with an educational institution or not...

I ain't going to be a financial 'guinea pig' anytime soon!
Lal..You always spit the word "profit" out as if it is an horrendous crime.

That sort of trial would be very unusual. Most vaccines are one expected to be used before a person is exposed, although there are exceptions like Polio where it is also used post exposure.

For it to work you'd need to be able to identify people before they get symptoms or do ring vaccination. I don't think either is likely with Covid-19.

The AstraZenica one was being trialed in several different countries, but they might be doing more detailed analysis for the locally based people where getting samples back is easier.

You could get the antibody cocktail which will give you immunity straight away, I believe Eli Lilly and Regeneron are developing those.

The AstraZ vaccine uses a modified chimpanzee virus as the transport vector. The issue with all these Adrenoviruses is that they need to use a transport virus that is not in circulation or common because then its likely the population will have immunity and will attack the vaccine before it has chance to infect cells and create the spike protein.

So you can get a vaccine that is effective at different rates in different countries and at different age groups within those countries.

Could the AZ vaccine when taken in a smaller initial dose mean the body does not react as strongly and eradicate it before it has chance to make the spike protein?

Experts for the win!

The interesting thing is that generally we are vaccinated against things that people rarely come into contact with. It's done in case we do. Covid is likely to be different as there is so much around.

One other aspect has been mentioned. Once vaccinated can people still spread it? A rather tricky one to sort out given covid's features.

I would have thought so, if it is spread by contact, if it gets on you and you then touch someone, that would spread it. Unless the vaccine kills the virus when it lands on you.
If someone who was infected sneezed on your hands then you could, presumably accidentally, rub some on someone else's face and infect them (or shake hands and they then touch their face etc.). No Vaccine will stop that. But that's going to be pretty rare compared to just sneezing on someone.

Ajohn is talking about someone being vaccinated but still being able to catch and spread the disease. What happens with some Vaccines is that they stop you getting really sick, but you can still get a mild case, but can still pass the disease on to someone who isn't vaccinated and who then gets a severe case.

I don't think anyone knows that about the Covid-19 vaccines yet, but most reports are quietly hopeful. The theory is that if you've only got a mild case you might be less infectious anyway.

Ajohn is talking about someone being vaccinated but still being able to catch and spread the disease.
No, just asked if they could spread it.

Once vaccinated can people still spread it?

If he was meaning could they still catch it, he may well have said can people still catch and spread it. If you wear a condom while having sex with an AIDS ravaged whore, the condom will protect you from catching AIDS, but if you then have sex with someone else using the same condom, you will most likely spread the disease. I know I'm being pedantic, but at least I'm not being an arseh0le.

You always spit the word "profit" out as if it is an horrendous crime.
You don't understand the phrase 'cannon fodder' do you!

But hey, you go ahead and become a lab rat...

Although for you that's a step up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back