Stormzy scholarship

Sponsored Links
I’m not convinced that Universities are racist. I suspect that british minorities with the money to make it work are very few in numbers. It’s fairly well known that the top Unis are attracted to the top fee paying schools.

I went to university in 1990 and there were plenty from all walks of life there.

Sponsored Links
I am even going to do the unthinkable. I am going to thank the OP for posting the thread.
I do not suppose it has gone the way he hoped, But what the heck!

You can be smug.
Your getting racism confused with the class system.

The Two smug gits standing smiling with Stormy are part of the problem You left Swingers are another part of the problem.
Racism is a tuff nut to crack. We don't stand a chance if you keep dividing us

Fools

Me neither. However the elite ones have not admitted many ethnic minorities in the past. Perhaps they just don't like ethnic minorities.

In the past theyve mostly taken students from the best fee paying schools.

Minimum riff raff from secondary moderns

It might not even be about posh/elite schools.

African Americans are under represented at MIT by a factor of 2 and almost 10 at CalTech. We can’t blame the university if the applications aren’t there.

Some naive people believe that it is a
shortage of black applicants. They may have read this In the Wail or the Torygraph.
Bless em.

Evidence ?
Top 10 universities for class equality
  1. Hull
  2. Derby
  3. Edge Hill
  4. Chester
  5. Plymouth College of Art
  6. York St John
  7. Leeds Beckett
  8. Worcester
  9. Anglia Ruskin
  10. Cardiff Metropolitan
Bottom 10 universities for class equality
  1. Cambridge
  2. St Andrews
  3. Bristol
  4. Oxford
  5. Edinburgh
  6. UCL
  7. Durham
  8. Robert Gordon
  9. LSE
  10. Imperial College London
https://www.studyinternational.com/news/where-uks-most-diverse-universities-rankings/

upload_2018-8-20_9-30-3.png

|
˅​
https://thetab.com/uk/student/2016/02/12/revealed-the-most-ethnically-diverse-unis-629

Lots more information out there.

Also consider drop out rates. Which I appreciate is another issue, another discussion.

upload_2018-8-20_9-34-39.png

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/analysis/HEinEngland/students/

All but one of the least diverse are in the top 20 universities by performance. I don't think it's a diversity argument but a class and merit argument.

Believe it or not, there's only a handfull of people get into the top 5 at all.

Its very useful, but to back up the argument, you need to see applicant rejection rate by group. We haven't yet proved that the issue is not a lack of applicants. Further, the drop out rate seems to support that they are somehow not making the cut or that it didn't turn out to be something they wanted to do. Drop outs cause a big issue as the student is damaged by the failure and the University can't fill its year 2-4 places easily.

It might not even be about posh/elite schools.

African Americans are under represented at MIT by a factor of 2 and almost 10 at CalTech. We can’t blame the university if the applications aren’t there.

But I think you can. If they ask for standardised test scores which they do not normalise for the school the student attends then they are discriminating against those schools that simply don't have the resources to prep the students.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/black-college-student-body/417189/

Researchers say top-tier schools have left black students behind in their push for ever-more-selective admission rates. Many rely heavily on measures that disadvantage minority students, including standardized test scores. The greater emphasis on such criteria has left high school counselors in predominantly black schools underprepared to respond. And tighter admissions may have prompted high school counselors to steer black students toward less selective schools.

“Those schools don’t have as much support around college prep as they should. As a result, those students are woefully in the dark about their college options,” Howard said. “If a student shows he or she has a profile that would be considered at UCLA or Berkeley, if no one at the school or a counselor or an administrator helps the student to recognize it, that student shoots for a [less-selective] state school instead.”

Kankerot thinks you should be allowed in regardless of poor grades.

There's a reason top performing universities are simply that.

All but one of the least diverse are in the top 20 universities by performance. I don't think it's a diversity argument but a class and merit argument.

Believe it or not, there's only a handfull of people get into the top 5 at all.
Intake does not necessarily determine output. I.e. student application (acceptance or rejection) does not necessarily equate to university performance.
There are a considerable amount of other factors (inputs) which you are conveniently ignoring.
Quality of teaching/support/counselling/guidance, peer pressure inside and outside of university, accommodation (study, teaching and domestic), facilities (study, research, cooperation, etc).

Sponsored Links
Back