Tailgating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was travelling on the school run with a 6 yr old in the back and had an ********** in a white van tailgating me. :evil:

I was doing 30 in a 30 mph road but he seemed to take delight in being up my ****. I turned off to get shut of the idiot. What is the best way to tackle these idiots?

I thought about slowing right down to 15 mph or braking sharply but I had my little one in the back so that was out of the question.

Even if I was driving alone and braked sharply he may have gone into the back of me and the damage to my Civic would be a lot more than to his van. Probably would not be insured either.:(

Your thoughts anyone.

Sponsored Links
My brother usually fiddles with his rear view mirror, so that the driver behind is distracted from looking at his brake lights then hits the brakes.

I, meanwhile am wetting myself at the idiot behind ranting and raving at me bro' whilst steering his vehicle through a skid and clouds of tyre smoke.

Tailgating serves no purpose whatsoever.

My brother usually fiddles with his rear view mirror, so that the driver behind is distracted from looking at his brake lights then hits the brakes.

I'm not brave enough to do that! :eek:

Andy you will get what for when I catch up with you. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Keep a steady speed but left foot touch the brake very gently @ relevant points - like a bend or parked car etc. .. : . I actually check out my cars` brakes to see when the light comes on - it`s usually before any braking force is applied ;) Takes some practice . but it`s worth a :LOL:

My advice is to pull over and let them pass, it's always funny though when you catch up with them at the next set of lights. Only for them to be one vehicle in front.

Road rage is never worth getting angry over or even getting out to have a 'word'.

Lifes to short.

Andy

But were you doing 30?, not 25 which can be very irritating. On a high street with people around then yes 30 is good, even slower imo, but there are loads of roads that used to be 50,40 etc that the council have turned into a 30.

On the way to work there is a straight stretch of road that used to be national speed limit. Now its a 30. Anyone that drives at 30 just gets overtaken.

I'm all for speed limits in the right places but sometimes the council haven't a clue and just stick 30 and 40 signs in areas that even hedgehogs keep away from.

I turned off to get shut of the idiot.

Don't turn off, why should you? Make him wait. A good soaking of windscreen washer usually does the trick, otherwise just temorarily turn your rear view mirror away so you don't keep staring at him.

I find easing off on the throttle to 25 then back to 30 then to 25 ad nauseum soon makes them drop back.

I find easing off on the throttle to 25 then back to 30 then to 25 ad nauseum soon makes them drop back.

Joe but surely this just makes things worse because;

You are not really concentrating on whats ahead, more your speedo reading and looking in the mirror?

I think just stay as you are, s_od him

The road was a residential area with only room for 2 lanes. This means that you have to slow down when you encounter parked vehicles which will only allow 1 car to pass. Hence the 30 mph is correct.

Some good suggestions but with a child in the back I could not risk this idiot going into the back of me.

doing some research this seems quite a common problem which the police never seem to prosecute.

This site may help you all one day.

During the day, I quickly turn my lights on and then off, he thinks they are my break lights and hits his breaks, I then accelerate away. They soon get the message. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back