Tools for College

I had a look in lidl today, the screwdriver sets were there but no individual ones?
Also the insulated nut drivers were not in store.

Although, it does worry me that they are offering supposed VDE rated nut drivers so that people can work on live equipment, something that should never be done.

I'll pop round tomorrow and see if they have updated what's in store.

Sponsored Links
I had a look in lidl today, the screwdriver sets were there but no individual ones?
Also the insulated nut drivers were not in store.

Although, it does worry me that they are offering supposed VDE rated nut drivers so that people can work on live equipment, something that should never be done.

I'll pop round tomorrow and see if they have updated what's in store.
I didn't see what was there but; in their usual style a bin containing a selection of different versions at £1.99.

Sponsored Links
Big chains, even at the budget end, have got a lot to lose if they sell dangerous products. I wouldn;t expect top quailty products from them but I wouldn't expect dowright dangerous stuff either.
Amazon, on the other hand...

there is (presumably) so much insulating material between the conductive shaft of the screwdriver and my hand
It's odd isn't it, that some people will turn a nose up at a screwdriver that visibly has more than a centimetre thickness of plastic between the metal shaft and the outer of the grip..

..but have no problems picking up a plugged in extension lead wire that has a couple of mm plastic between the live core and the outer (and is much more likely to be damaged)

Perception's a funny thing

Amazon, on the other hand...
Products sold by amazon themselves are generally ok.

The problem with amazon is that they have blurred the line between retailer and marketplace site almost into nonexistence. The text that tells you the name of the seller is small and nondescript. They hold stock and fulfil orders for third party sellers. Their algorithms often slap badges like "Amazon's choice" on third party products that have clearly not been vetted by anyone from Amazon.

It's odd isn't it, that some people will turn a nose up at a screwdriver that visibly has more than a centimetre thickness of plastic between the metal shaft and the outer of the grip.. ..... ..but have no problems picking up a plugged in extension lead wire that has a couple of mm plastic between the live core and the outer (and is much more likely to be damaged)
Exactly my point. I personally would struggle to get even remotely worried about any insulated screwdriver.
Perception's a funny thing
Very much so -and it does not necessarily have anything to do with common sense or rational reasoning!

Kind Regards, John

When I think back to 40 odd years ago and working on live circuits with a screwdriver with TV coax sheath on the metal shaft.
I was thinking about when I would put heat shrink around the shaft, it was great when applied, but unless epoxy lined stuff used, it could slide down the shaft.

The other worry was dirt, with conducting material in it, from old engine oil for example.

When I started my dad took me to a war department surplus store and got me a start up kit, that back then was the norm, but today as volunteers on a heritage railway we are told we must not bring in our own tools, odd we can donate tools to the railway then use the tools, but to use them they need to belong to the railway.

I think this is down to being able to control safety aspects of the tools, cold chisels are a good example, the rubber type cover can be moved chisel to chisel 1684839783038.pngand also the end if not ground down can mushroom out and have bits fly off it, so the safety department needs to inspect them from time to time, same with hammers, angle grinders need the correct guards, and the wheels checking, and today we are using so many more power tools, even screwdrivers.

To make a list of which tools you can and can't bring into work would be hard, as always some new thing which has not been thought about, and insurance often means the firm has no option but provide all tools.

As to a training establishment, not sure how their insurance works, the lecturers are covered by HSE rules, they are at work, but the students are only at work if sent there by their employer, their employer in theroy should send some one to inspect the collage to see if it is safe, I saw this problem with employment agencies who are responsible for their workers, even when they have no or little control over the work environment.

I found lack of collage tools was a problem, I went to sample a NVQ course to decide if it was what I needed, and they were fitting tray, now where I worked we would in the main use pre-formed tray, but also had the rollers to form the tray where required, and using the equipment needs some skill, in the main we would cut tray with an angle grinder, and would wear the face masks and use fans etc to avoid glav flue. I was therefore dismayed to find only hack saws used in the collage so students not trained in the precautions needed when using an angle grinder, and had no rollers, so what was the point in instruction students how to install tray? Most of what they were learning was never going to be used.

We often rely on the collage to instruct the student as to the correct way to do things, even to the type of spanner, where it is all too easy to damage ones hand by using spanners which are too thin. Or the danger of a jaw opening as we exert pressure to the spanner. So a wall of shame is common, showing poor quality tools, which are often the more expensive ones, snap-on spanners were often far to thin.

So there should never really be a question of tools for collage, any good collage should be banning students from bringing in their own tools.

That's the problem with heritage railways, you let old men loose and they come up with all sorts of reasons why they should not do what they do.
It's a wonder they are allowed to even drive the trains :)

Someone mentioned early on that GEC Gas Turbines calibrated their pliers/pipe grips or something.
When I worked at GEC Distribution Equipment I was seconded to the R&D department for about 18 months. The work involved manufacturing new cabinet designs, copper busbar layouts, switch positions etc. So we were cutting, bending, shaping various materials including mild steel, thick copper bars, plastic etc.
Things had to be so accurate that our steel rules and steel tape measures were calibrated on a weekly basis. If a supervisor/manager saw you drop a tool on the floor they told you to go and have it checked. You then had to take a ticket to them to show you had been and had it done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back