Use a 3 way WiFi switch for a single light?

Seems to show two electronic switches, which seems pointless, as why would you want two switches for the same light controlled by an app?
So they can be used manually as two ordinary two-way switches ?
That would surely be equally true if only one of the two switches were 'electronic'?

I think I have to agree with eric here. Unless there was an issue of aesthetics (wanting both switches to look the same), if one has "two-way switching", I see no reason why both switches would need to be 'electronic' (operable by an 'app'). With one of those plus a conventional switch, either could be operated manually and the switching could also be accomplished 'by app' (which would do the same as manually operating vthe electronic switch.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you @JohnW2 yes as said can't see why two electronic switches other than looking the same.

I would love to hear how this switch works, unfortunately I have no neutrals at my switches, so no good for me, and I have slowly moved to smart bulbs, which seem to work better than smart switches, I was singing the praises of the Energenie Smart light switches, until out of 5, I only have 2 still in service. Also one socket failed, turned into a flasher unit.

The problem I have is the CU is not in the main house, I need to go outside, down a set of steps, and into the flat (was a garage) under main house to turn the RCBO's off, so swapping a light switch involves a lot of up and down, far easier to change a bulb.

That would surely be equally true if only one of the two switches were 'electronic'?
Possibly - but not if they communicate (or work) by electronics.

If not, then aesthetics it is: if they don't make a dumb one that looks and works the same.

Sponsored Links

If not, then aesthetics it is: if they don't make a dumb one that looks and works the same.
They are touch switches, so work by electronics and are probably bought for the aesthetics!

Screenshot_20230316-152803_Chrome.jpg

That would be true if they were essentially 'local' electronically-activated switches which communicated via some 'signal wire' (rather than by using conventional 'two-way' wiring). However, I am 'assuming' (I think not unreasonably in this case) that the diagram we have been looking at is correct, which shows two "SPDT" switches connected conventionally by 'strappers'. If that's the case, then it would presumably work just as well if one of the switches was conventional (mechanical).
Yes, that was my suggestion.

Kind Regards, John

That would be true if they were essentially 'local' electronically-activated switches which communicated via some 'signal wire' (rather than by using conventional 'two-way' wiring). However, I am 'assuming' (I think not unreasonably in this case) that the diagram we have been looking at is correct, which shows two "SPDT" switches connected conventionally by 'strappers'. If that's the case, then it would presumably work just as well if one of the switches was conventional (mechanical).
Yes, I agree.

This would seem to prove you right.

1678981948931.png

1678982062655.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back