Vaccine Passport...

Given that the US has ably demonstrated that they've dispensed with science in favour of ridiculous tribal politics, I'm more of the opinion that we should ignore anything to do with virus/vaccine or erm anything emanating from that continent.

The statements made by the CDC about transmission in the fully vaccinated are at odds with experts here and in Europe (the US make it sound pointless when it's really not). Even allowing for the vagueness of those US statements.

Sponsored Links
After taking a sensible amount of time to weigh up the risks/benefits of being vaccinated, I have become a jab hero. :rolleyes: Had my first one yesterday, and I'm still here to tell the tale. Sore arm and bit of tiredness yesterday afternoon. Oh, and tv strangely gets interference when I walk near it, so I'm obviously transmitting my whereabouts to Bill Gates.

Now that things have opened up a lot and precautions and restrictions are being reduced the vaccine now makes more sense. Also no one I know of has had a bad reaction to the vaccine, but I do have a South African friend who died of Covid and another who ended up in hospital with pneumonia (though both with other health problems), the time was right to make the decision to jab. Should never rush into anything like this. Also want to go abroad later in year, so looking like we're over a barrel if we want to travel in the near future.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Given that the US has ably demonstrated that they've dispensed with science in favour of ridiculous tribal politics

pleased to see that some of the Trumpian nutters are being overwhelmed.

Far-right Republican states have obstructed vaccination and other precaustions, and have the highest infection and death rates.

The Trumpian Governor of Texas is one such nutter.

But now,

"Democrats in the biggest cities in Texas are in open rebellion against Republican governor Greg Abbott over efforts to ban mask mandates in schools as students prepare to head back to classrooms.

Texas is among a handful of Republican-led states, including Florida and others in the US south, that have become hotspots both for infections from the easily spread Delta coronavirus variant and political fights over mask and vaccine requirements in schools and businesses.

The Houston Independent School District, one of the biggest public school systems in the US, on Thursday became the latest in Texas to require face coverings for students for the school year that begins on August 23 in defiance of a May executive order from Abbott barring such mandates."

https://www.ft.com/content/6a45aad6...egmentId=3f81fe28-ba5d-8a93-616e-4859191fabd8

And

"In the past two weeks, vaccine mandates have gone from a rarity to a priority on California tech campuses and at the headquarters of Wall Street banks.

Companies as large as Google, McDonald’s, Microsoft and Walt Disney are demanding that some or all employees be vaccinated before coming to work, with certain medical and religious exemptions.

It is a striking shift. When the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) polled members in June, just 11 per cent of HR people planned to insist that their staff be vaccinated. A Morning Consult poll spelt out one reason for their hesitation last week, finding that 18 per cent of employees would quit if their workplace imposed a vaccine or mask mandate."

https://www.ft.com/content/201e6f04-342a-4131-8150-b618ba448901

USAsurge1.png

"A Florida law bans companies from demanding proof of vaccination against coronavirus

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings received a federal judge’s blessing on Sunday to flout the Florida law that bans companies from demanding proof of vaccination against the coronavirus.

In a 59-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams granted the cruise company’s request for a preliminary injunction blocking the state from enforcing its law against so-called vaccine passports. She said the company was likely to prevail on the basis of its claims that the law infringes on its rights to free speech and puts a heavy burden on interstate commerce. And she agreed Norwegian would “suffer significant financial and reputational harms” if the law were to be enforced in the meantime."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/08/09/desantis-passport-ban-norwegian-cruise/

still trying...

"Aug 10, 18:22
DeSantis under fire over threat to withhold pay of Florida school leaders
Peter Wells in New York

Florida governor Ron DeSantis has warned that the state’s board of education could withhold pay from school leaders who mandate masks for students, drawing criticism on Tuesday from a state official running for governor next year."

After taking a sensible amount of time to weigh up the risks/benefits of being vaccinated, I have become a jab hero. :rolleyes: Had my first one yesterday, and I'm still here to tell the tale. Sore arm and bit of tiredness yesterday afternoon. Oh, and tv strangely gets interference when I walk near it, so I'm obviously transmitting my whereabouts to Bill Gates.

Now that things have opened up a lot and precautions and restrictions are being reduced the vaccine now makes more sense. Also no one I know of has had a bad reaction to the vaccine, but I do have a South African friend who died of Covid and another who ended up in hospital with pneumonia (though both with other health problems), the time was right to make the decision to jab. Should never rush into anything like this. Also want to go abroad later in year, so looking like we're over a barrel if we want to travel in the near future.
Well done. You know it makes sense. (y)

Well done. You know it makes sense. (y)

Thanks. Took my mum (85) in for her first one at the same time and the nurse asked her what took her so long. She wasn't too worried about Covid as she caught it in hospital end of last year when she was having hip replacement. Though she was put on an isolation ward the virus didn't affect her much. Coped so well, we even wondered if she had it. At her age, post op and diabetic she must have some tough genes.

The friend who caught it 6 months ago and ended up in hospital with pneumonia still has some long Covid. His taste still isn't good, but slowly getting better. Sits in the pub and can't taste his beer. If that doesn't encourage someone to consider a jab I don't know what will.

Vaccine passports might come up in several ways including via the Gov if they feel not having all people done who can be is messing thing up. It's what Boris has mentioned for certain sectors. All they have to do is make it more awkward / difficult for people to do a variety of things without being vaccinated. They are already doing that in some areas anyway.

People already have the passport - a little card and the app. ;) The app may be more reliable.

Anyway cases are rising now. It wouldn't surprise me if mask use starts growing eventually. A fair proportion of people are still using them ;) including me.

I did read that some places/countries were not accepting digital covid passes. Pretty sure Malta weren’t accepting digital ones as our friend who is part Maltese was going there and she needed a printed NHS version although I think they are accepting digital ones now. Obviously, you’d also need one if you don’t have a smart phone. We’ve got our paper ones in case we ever need them. They’re free and you can get them from here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

I've just had my vaccine passport revoked for the next ten days.(n)
Have you just tested positive or been pinged?

My son just finished his 10 day stint of isolation yesterday after a positive test - the last 10 days of his three week break from work! Back to work for him today.

Sponsored Links
Back