What have you stopped doing or buying due to rising costs?

It really is not easy to get benefits. A friend has long covid. Was highly intelligent, worked as engineer for Rolls Royce (aeroplanes), 47 years old.

Now bed bound, can't read, can only talk for about 20 minutes at a time, confused etc. Their lives have changed forever. Been almost 2 years now. Gone from wealthy middle class to living on benefits, in poverty.

His wife told me recently how she had to complete a 28 page document to apply for benefits. You need a degree just to understand half of what's asked.

Anybody who says getting benefits it's easy is lying.

That's awful. I wish them all the luck to get their lives back .

Sponsored Links
Couldn’t agree more

In saying that you couldn't agree more with people robbing the government, you are saying you couldn't agree more with people robbing the taxpayer, which neatly sums up your communist position.

on what basis are they generous?

State benefits are generous on the basis that, I work full time and have a very good standard of living, and many people on state benefits get more money than my wage. In some cases they literally get more money, but in most cases they get more when the various exemptions are taken into account (housing benefit, prescriptions etc.)

I would be better off claiming public money than working. And I'd still get a state pension.

In saying that you couldn't agree more with people robbing the government, you are saying you couldn't agree more with people robbing the taxpayer, which neatly sums up your communist position.

I just find it strange that anyone would think like Notch. Unless your of that type.

Sponsored Links
State benefits are generous on the basis that, I work full time and have a very good standard of living, and many people on state benefits get more money than my wage. In some cases they literally get more money, but in most cases they get more when the various exemptions are taken into account (housing benefit, prescriptions etc.)

So your claim is not based on any evidence.

how much do you think universal credit is?

Is he jabbed?

No idea, he caught at the start long before there were vaccines, and hasn't left his house since except for medical appointments. I'm sure if he can get vaxxed he would.

He's one of the good guys, but it really is like a bright light has left us. Horrible to see.

I would be better off claiming public money than working. And I'd still get a state pension.
So you talk to these "many people" and they freely disclose their income to you, do they?

Not everyone on benefits qualifies for housing benefit and when you say prescriptions, there are certain conditions that entitle you to free prescriptions.

I have stopped making babies, because knowing how much the last lot cost gives me some idea into what they cost nowadays !

I can’t think why anybody would support a corrupt govt, but you continue to do so.

I do in the fact that I vote for them. I'm not sure I like them and I do believe they line their own pockets. But what is an alternative for me?

Many people cannot walk very well and need a car precisely because they have been driving cars for decades instead of walking. Do they deserve public money?
Wrong again
Arthritis, it's extremely common. The more you "walked" the worse it is. One of the two I referred to was particularly sporty. Bus stops are too far away to get to. Both cases in point are not wealthy and were living quietly, driving little, but Khan is scapping their cars for £0.

I wouldn't blame them if they asked for money.

The truth is, or should I say "fact", is that there are far more people in need of help than we currently help. Most do not get support to help them to the bus stop, to get in to town, to shop etc. Most are housebound, and invisible to the masses who believe all those on benefits are lying scroungers.

The country is full of people with advanced arthritis, COPD, and mobility issues caused by obesity, cancer, serious accidents etc.

As the population ages, with more people needing care and fewer people working, it raises a serious question of how are we to cope?

Suggesting that all these people should just be stranded at home for decades before they wither away and die is pretty heartless. Doubt anybody here would want to be in that position, although those that are critical of those who are will no doubt claim that they have made preparations, earned money, got a big pension pot etc. etc to support themselves, so why doesn't everybody do that?

Last edited:
Some people are thrifty, some are wastrels.

Live in care is £600 a week. Dementia care homes are £1200 a week. Doesn't matter how thrifty I am (and I am because I have no money) I'd never save enough to pay for that. I've not been able to afford a holiday since 2017, and not been abroad since 2005, and I consider myself lucky with a good job.

I just don't understand how anybody affords anything these days.

I've not been able to afford a holiday since 2017, and not been abroad since 2005, and I consider myself lucky with a good job.

I just don't understand how anybody affords anything these days.
I haven't been abroad for about 8 or 9 years, never did have big holidays, kids seemed happy enough in school holidays going for the odd day or two out, staying at a Travelodge or Premier Inn when they did cheap days (got 4 nights in Bristol for less than £50, but that was quite a while ago), never been one for the latest phones or TV's (current one is over 10 years old). People these days are living for the moment, get things on credit and worry about stuff when it happens, a lot of the younger generation (18-30) tend not to have any financial fear, if you have nothing, you have nothing to lose. People with jobs that are at risk, or big mortgages that could cripple them financially if the rate goes up too much are the ones with most to lose. I am even keeping an eye on fuel costs, if I go out I just turn the heating off, and tell SWMBO to put a coat on.

Sponsored Links
Back