What was the goal of Brexit?

What the No-dealers don't realise is that the first thing the British government will need to do, in the event of a no deal is begin trade negotiations with the EU.

Blimey u are definitely on the ball Noseall :LOL:

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
The UK always followed the EU rules

Unlike the French ;)

Some UK people would say that.

I bet you think you are an above average driver, and that English weather is the best in the world. Do you think you won "the lottery of life?"

Sponsored Links
Some UK people would say that.

I bet you think you are an above average driver, and that English weather is the best in the world. Do you think you won "the lottery of life?"

No :confused:

:LOL:

What nationality is Andy Murray, the tennis player?

What was the goal of Brexit?

To get a great free trade "deal" that for some reason was better than the terms the EU offers to its own members.

"Two months before the June 2016 referendum vote, Raab told Andrew Neil on BBC Sunday Politics: “We’re very well placed, and mutual self-interest suggests we’d cut a very good deal and it’s certainly not in the European’s interests to erect trade barriers.”"

"During an appearance on the BBC’s Daily Politics in April 2016, Raab added: “The idea that Britain would be apocalyptically off the cliff edge if we left the EU is silly.”"

"Boris Johnson, now prime minister Johnson told the Treasury select committee in March 2016: “Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard … to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed.”

"Speaking at a Vote Leave event in March 2016, Johnson said: “I put it to you, all those who say that there would be barriers to trade with Europe if we were to do a Brexit, do you seriously believe that they would put up tariffs against UK produce of any kind, when they know how much they want to sell us their cake, their champagne, their cheese from France? It is totally and utterly absurd.”"

"Johnson, then foreign secretary, told the House of Commons in July 2017: “There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal.”"

"In April 2016, Michael Gove said the UK would have the best of both worlds. “Outside the EU, we would still benefit from the free trade zone which stretches from Iceland to the Russian border,” he said. “But we wouldn’t have all the EU regulations which cost our economy £600m every week.”"

"Responding to the Office for National Statistics’ trade figures in March 2016, Matthew Elliott, the chief executive of Vote Leave, said: “It’s clear the trade deck is stacked in the UK’s favour. EU trade is shrinking yet we are held back from striking deals with emerging markets as we’ve given up control to Brussels. The real question should be why our EU neighbours wouldn’t be clambering over themselves to secure a free trade deal with their biggest market.”"

"And in response to a report by The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) report on the economic consequences of Brexit in April 2016, Vote Leave issued a press release with an accompanying note criticising the “flawed assumption” that the UK would not do a free trade deal with the EU after Brexit."

"After the referendum, in July 2017, the then-international trade secretary Liam Fox said: “The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history. We are already beginning with zero tariffs, and we are already beginning at the point of maximal regulatory equivalence, as it is called. In other words, our rules and our laws are exactly the same.”"

So that's clear. The Quitters said that the purpose of leaving the EU was to get a free trade deal that was even better than we already had, while discarding the obligations of membership.

There was something about £350million a week for the NHS as well.

Boris is telling us that's what we voted for, and that's what we're going to get.

Oooops, my mistake. He says we voted for no-deal.

Can anybody remember him saying that before the vote? I'm sure @Motman can.

Sponsored Links
Back