Who has ignored someone?

Have you anyone on your ignore list

• Yes

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no, Joe, it's like when you wander down the High Street shouting abuse at someone who isn't there.

I'd second that, John. If nothing else, the Ignore button is a powerful statement. This is after all a DIY forum, a place for people to exchange views and ask for advice. It clearly has other functions, too, though, and that's fine for the individuals involved. This way, everyone should be happy.

Sponsored Links
i fully agree with free speech without censorship unless the comments are personal or insight hatred

It's got nothing to do with censorship - at least not in the normal meaning of the word. If someone at your place of work talked absolute drivel, hour after hour, day after day, week after week, there could come a time when you would say enough is enough and give that person the cold shoulder. It's the same on this forum. If someone comes up with the same nonsense time, after time, after time, you may decide that enough is enough and give that person the cold shoulder by pressing your ignore button. The choice is yours.

someone drones on just egnore them :D ;)

although its slightly different on the forum as you have a "volume button" well not a real volume button you can choose read or not to read ;)

I still feel that there should be a status page where you can see the top twenty most ignored people. This will allow new visitors to the site to be aware that an answer to a question they posted by one of these highly ignored people should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I still feel that there show be a status page where you can see the top twenty most ignored people. This will allow new visitors to the site to be aware that an answer to a question they posted by one of these highly ignored people should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Thats a great idea as the names are just usernames there is no harm in doing so either.

Wonder if a poll of names would be breaking the rules?

Sponsored Links
IMHO (and this is entirely personal preference) there isn't any point in "ignoring" another member per se.

Any personally insulting posts are (or should be) removed by the Mods - I have experienced this first hand, and even though it was entirely tongue in cheek, I accept that the subject of the post may not have interpreted it that way and taken offence. Fair enough.

I (again, entirely personal view) don't believe any expression of opinion or attempt to communicate from another person can be considered as meaningless, and therefore OK to dismiss without notice. I feel that regardless of how contrary somebody else's opinion is to mine, it is still worthy of note if only to serve as an insight into how their mindset works in comparison with my own - "no man is an island".

The fact that their opinion has no validity to me in terms of changing my stance, is not the issue, firstly because you never know so it's always worth re-evaluating your own terms of reference with someone else's independent thoughts and observations; and secondly, if I ever thought it essential to completely ignore another human being as an effective non-entity, I would consider that the fault may lie with me having an intolerance issue that needed addressing.

I personally believe that along with the privilege of being able to communicate with each other in such consummate detail (unmatched by anything else on earth), there goes a responsibility to speak our minds and get our feelings in the open and on record if only to serve as an example of human individuality.

If someone takes the time and effort to manifest their inner-self to other people (regardless of their actual content or intentions e.g. wind-up merchants), the very least we can do is to accept the actuality that whichever way you look at it - you will learn something about your fellow mankind, why deny yourself the opportunity to develop your understanding? It puts you at a disadvantage, surely?

A very idealistic view - sure you're not Softus? Hmmm?
I have 2 people on my ignore list, one just starts stupid threads to try and get as many replies as possible and the other will just disagree with fact in order to wind people up - for some peculiar reason, it seems to amuse him. I have no wish to waste my time reading these posts and am therefore, ignoring these posts.
I appreciate that people are different and some will enjoy these kinds of posts - that's their decision. I for one, do not consider myself disadvantaged by my actions.

A very idealistic view - sure you're not Softus? Hmmm?

:LOL: :LOL: No, I can 100% categorically state that I am not Softus, I would never consider the need to post under another ID, and given my stance on the importance of individuality, that would be extremely hypocritical of me.

If you consider me to be idealistic, I could respond to that by suggesting that your view might be considered as cynical, but I doubt either of us would be 100% right, so I won't.

I don't think I'm idealistic - rose tinted specs are something I only associate with John Lennon, if anything I would probably sum up my ethos as being more fatalistic (although I think it's impossible to capture the essence of a character in a single word).

However, I'll accept that as a valid observation and consider it in more detail, after all it's impossible to be objective when you're the subject, which is one of the reasons I think it's important to not deny myself the exposure to other peoples opinions. I've read plenty of your posts and think I know enough to be sure you wouldn't make that observation up for the hell of it - unlike others. :rolleyes:

I fully accept that you are happy blocking certain contributors, and if you feel that you are in no way putting yourself at a disadvantage, who am I to suggest otherwise. Despite my name I'm no preacher. :D

It's entirely my personal opinion and anyone is welcome to challenge it, I'm open to change if it makes sense to me.

I believe very strongly that I can only get the best out of life by accepting it in it's entirety - warts and all. That is not to say that I have no desire to change things, I do, but that I approach everything from the viewpoint that everything happens for a reason, and everyone and everything in life serves a purpose. I have absolutely no higher understanding of why that is or what it's all about, and would never pretend to.

That approach is a fundamental part of who I am, and I can't help that anymore than I can help feeling that I'm missing out if I make a deliberate decision to shut something out of "my world".

You don't feel the same way because we're individuals, don't you just love it!

If you consider me to be idealistic, I could respond to that by suggesting that your view might be considered as cynical, but I doubt either of us would be 100% right, so I won't.
You should, as you would have been right. I am cynical.

However, I'll accept that as a valid observation and consider it in more detail, after all it's impossible to be objective when you're the subject, which is one of the reasons I think it's important to not deny myself the exposure to other peoples opinions. I've read plenty of your posts and think I know enough to be sure you wouldn't make that observation up for the hell of it - unlike others. :rolleyes:
I'll take that as a compliment. So thank you.

I fully accept that you are happy blocking certain contributors, and if you feel that you are in no way putting yourself at a disadvantage, who am I to suggest otherwise. Despite my name I'm no preacher. :D
Well as I can't read the post above by Joe-90, maybe you could read it and tell me if I'm disadvantaged by excluding his posts from my screen?

I believe very strongly that I can only get the best out of life by accepting it in it's entirety - warts and all.
Hear that Joe? You're a wart! :LOL:

Before this thread gets locked better add that it looks like most dont use the ignore feature. So is it worthwhile or more a hindrance in use, ie does it soon become overpowering in stopping good posts as well as the bad?

If someone takes the time and effort to manifest their inner-self to other people (regardless of their actual content or intentions e.g. wind-up merchants), the very least we can do is to accept the actuality that whichever way you look at it - you will learn something about your fellow mankind, why deny yourself the opportunity to develop your understanding? It puts you at a disadvantage, surely?

I'm not sure everyone wants to get into psychology, pj. Maybe they get that stimulation in other areas of their lives and simply want to visit here for some help with their DIY. :)

It isn't often that someone having a low estimate of their own importance has so much to say. Perhaps the 'H' in the above quote is a keying in error. Someone has already asked the question, "Are you sure you're not you-know-who?" and I must admit the same thought crossed my mind now and in the past. Are you aware that Admin are clamping down on the use of multiple usernames by members?

Sponsored Links
Back