406 Coupe - Buy YES or NO

I went down the BMW route - briefly, had a 5 series estate, outside it was nearly as big as the XM, inside considerably smaller than the 406, it had no low down torque although a diesel, kept stalling it, the 406 is much bigger inside and much nicer to drive.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean , but the new 320d does 0-62 in 7.5 , 147mph and 62mpg , thats the auto too ! But well out of my reach , well thats not exactly true, but hate wasting money on new cars . My poor wife had to give up her A4 130tdi 3 years ago , since been driving a ZX d 1.9 , 60mpg , comfy, reliable , but getting old now ! Cost £90 , head gasket gone , £19 and 4 hours of work and now done another 35,000 , not bad for £110 , forgot the 2 £10 tyres , so thats £130 , scrap value now is about £100 , so cost has been £20 for 3 years , 35K trouble free motoring !
So I think it's time to give her a treat , did even think about a new BMW 120d , but she said she'd rather have a new kitchen !

Going to try a couple of test drives next week.

I know the new ones are better, I have a relative with one, my son has driven it and says it really feels like a diesel, lots of low down grunt, still not a lot of room though. The 406 can match the fuel consumption but not unfortunately the performance - although that doesn't matter a lot to me, comfort and economy are my requirements, which is why I bought the C5, £300.00 with nearly 6 months tax and MOT, now that is comfortable.:cool:

Peter

Was that meant to read £3000.00 ? If not , what year/mileage etc ? And where did you get it ?

They say the ride in an c5 is better than a Rolls !

BTW , anyone had an email from someone called Cynthia ???

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cheap as chips , loads of car for the money !

But want a Coupe really , just put an advert on Preloved.

Am I right in thinking the 406 coupe 2.2Hdi has a DMF ? Also , cambelt os every 96K ?

I done a 406 1.9td R reg clutch recently , standard clutch on that !

Yep and I just picked up a leather interior for £100.00 that virtually makes it an executive.

The 406 2.2 is the same as the one in my C5, it does have a DPF and cambelt change at about 100k. I'm just hoping mine has been done as its approaching 150k :confused: The clutch and DMF are good on mine, my 406 had a worn clutch and 20k later it still does.

Peter

I have had nothing but Peugeot/Citroen diesels since 1985 [there was just one exception, a Montego turbo diesel estate, which was excellent] and I have been well pleased with them all. The least good of the bunch was a 2003 Berlingo 2 litre HDi which had various suspension parts, front wheel bearings, power steering pump and starter replaced. This car was wrecked by a hit-and-run driver one night when it had done nearly 100,000 miles. Apart from oil and filter changes, the engine was never touched. I mention these items because it was so unusual to have to replace parts. We have now got a Partner 1.6HDi which is a better car again - it is most impressive. Granted it doesn't give Jeremy Clarkson the hots, but we are delighted with it. All the others cost us very little in repairs, including the CX turbo diesel estate, which was used as a plumber's van when I was self-employed.

I think Peugeot/Citroen make the best diesels they were the first to make a really refined engine, I have been running them for nearly 30 years, Citroen CX, BX and XM mostly and I now still have an XM estate plus a C5 and a 406. The best engine I think is the 8 valve Hdi made until about '95, they can be good for 300,000 miles or more, after that they became more troublesome mainly due I believe to the extended oil change intervals, change it every 6k and you probably won't have any problems.

Peter

Nice to hear people enjoying their PSA engined vehicles , I have had a couple of 1.9d and a 2.1td , no probs with over 300,000 between them.

I know the coupe 2.2Hdi is not as economical as the others , but whats a few mpg between friends.

Anyone out there know of a Coupe for sale ?????

Hi Peter ,

Have been looking at epay/autotrader for a few weeks now , prob is they are usually too far away , but have emailed the blue se thats just been listed at a start of £1200 . Have been looking at a red se about 80 miles away , dealer asking £1500 but said he'd take £1300 , only prob is no history ! Done 150k , which if it had history would have been ok, checked Directgov , mileage looks right. Would rather pay a bit more for a little less mileage with history really, but I might have to wait a while , but need one soon , before September.

Do you think the SE is worth the extra money ? I know you get leather heated electric seats , but thats one more thing to go wrong , and adds weight too ! Rather speed the money on a decent set of wheels .

Anyone know what type of rear suspension is on the coupe , torsion or independent ? Thought of lowering one buy 20-40mm , unless the wheels do the job of filling those arches.

Hi Peter ,

Have been looking at epay/autotrader for a few weeks now , prob is they are usually too far away , but have emailed the blue se thats just been listed at a start of £1200 . Have been looking at a red se about 80 miles away , dealer asking £1500 but said he'd take £1300 , only prob is no history ! Done 150k , which if it had history would have been ok, checked Directgov , mileage looks right. Would rather pay a bit more for a little less mileage with history really, but I might have to wait a while , but need one soon , before September.

Do you think the SE is worth the extra money ? I know you get leather heated electric seats , but thats one more thing to go wrong , and adds weight too ! Rather speed the money on a decent set of wheels .

Anyone know what type of rear suspension is on the coupe , torsion or independent ? Thought of lowering one buy 20-40mm , unless the wheels do the job of filling those arches.

Mark, why not have a browse of this lot? You''ll get some serious questions answered from from the Coupe cognoscenti, a select crowd, indeed. ;)

Cheers for the link.
Had planned to do so as soon as my wife was sure she wanted one , still haven't had a drive yet !
Just wanted some unbiased responses first , not just on the coupe , but the pug 406 / C5 range too , mainly the Hdi engine range.

Sponsored Links
Back