Blue Badge holders and Private Parking terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people cannot walk far without stopping. So they may be able to walk further than your figure of 20 yards, but only with a stop or rest.

Many supermarkets have wheelchairs or scooters for the disabled, so the aisles length is not an issue.

Like I said, logical.

Sponsored Links
Some people cannot walk far without stopping. So they may be able to walk further than your figure of 20 yards, but only with a stop or rest.

Many supermarkets have wheelchairs or scooters for the disabled, so the aisles length is not an issue.

Like I said, logical.
Does not stop the abuse

Sponsored Links
Does not stop the abuse
What's your point?

I'm trying to explain that it is quite legitimate for some disabled folk to need to park close to the entrance, but are able to get about inside, either by taking breaks or by using a wheelchair or scooter.

However, whatever system you have in place, some people will be unscrupulous and exploit the system.

legitimate for some disabled folk to need to park close to the entrance, but are able to get about inside, either by taking breaks or by using a wheelchair or scooter.
They can use aids,take a break outside.

Don't understand...

They are using aids: wheelchair, scooter, stick, chair to rest in etc.....

What difference does it make where they rest? If they're in the back of the supermarket (eg), are you suggesting they go outside for a rest?

What difference is twenty yards then (difference between bb and able spaces?), when each aisle is more than that?

Like I said, not logical.

It seems perfectly logical to me, that the less able should be able to minimise their effort in getting into a store and that the spaces should be wider and better suited to people struggling to get in and out of their vehicles. Would you feel happier with the disabled spaces at the far end of the car park, so the able bodied can park outside the door?

In response to your other point - in bad weather a fit person can get into the shelter of a store much quicker than can many of the disabled. Many disabled can manage a short distance, but then need to rest before trying to progress. Would you like to be like that, but be forced to take your rest stops outside on maybe a wild weather day like today? Many of the larger stores also provide wheelchairs for the disabled, so your point about the isle inside being longer, is entirely spurious.

we just disagree as to the level of abuse.
Or the definition of abuse:
You think that someone who has to park right next to the store but then can work their way round the shop are obviously not disabled!

its a real pity when when people are automatically classified as being "guilty " for having a blue badge rather just those who are guilty off actually abusing the badge:(

It seems perfectly logical to me, that the less able should be able to minimise their effort in getting into a store and that the spaces should be wider and better suited to people struggling to get in and out of their vehicles. Would you feel happier with the disabled spaces at the far end of the car park, so the able bodied can park outside the door?

In response to your other point - in bad weather a fit person can get into the shelter of a store much quicker than can many of the disabled. Many disabled can manage a short distance, but then need to rest before trying to progress. Would you like to be like that, but be forced to take your rest stops outside on maybe a wild weather day like today? Many of the larger stores also provide wheelchairs for the disabled, so your point about the isle inside being longer, is entirely spurious.

No, my point was in response to the "some disabilities are not obvious".
Therefore, if someone parks up right outside the door and, without any obvious incapacity, makes it into the store, that renders the "invisible disabilities" point redundant.

What is the difference...Why is self abuse jokable,,,,harm not?
It's down to semantics. Self abuse is an old fashioned term for W**king. Self harm is a serious result of a mental health problem. I guess I do have a certain sense of humour, probably because I developed arthritis in my 30's and at one time had a Blue Badge. I gave it back when due to modern medication I was more able bodied. I recently had a new knee by the NHS, so I've no complaints with them. Ironically I need a stick because of a bike accident ( dead foot) which means I can fall over. Now't to do with arthritis. It's better for me to get a trolley at a supermarket car park and walk the length of the parking + inside, because a trolley is a good walking aid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back