boiler breakdowns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where do I stand with fault finding on boilers as a self employed / employed person with regard to the GSIUR.

Is it permitted to fault find and repair non gas carrying components or not? Am I even permitted to take the case off?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you are limited then

but you can still do prv, divertor valves which is common,pumps, flow switchs etc
not fans or flues.

but why do you want to do them if your not corgi.

it can be a pain as you may have a fault and then find it to be a fan then your going to have to tell the customers you can't change the fan.
so they won't pay you for the time you have been there.

Sponsored Links
I work as a sub contractor and often the staff taking the calls don't ask enough questions about the system or fault so I get limited information back about the job except, no heating or hot water . Im sure you'll agree most of the time this can be fixed by a qualified plumber.

I am about to undertake the CCN1, CEN1, gas assesments but I just wanted to know where I stood at the moment.

I recall an episode of rogue traders where they said "he shouldnt even be taking the case off that boiler without being corgi registered". I thought that cant be right but it just stuck with me. I have always refered any work on boilers to a corgi registered engineer with this in mind, but then I have had a few faults that possibly I could have dealt with myself?

if you remove the case you can be entering the flue chamber which is corgi land then.

but alot of combis you can work on pumps, pcb etc by just dropping the bottom cover.

i do alot of subcontract work and i know what you say got no water that all you get.

who you sub to ?

my opinion as a customer is that any person who does a repair on any thing. ie a car,a heating system,a television,an electrical installation etc has a duty of care to ensure all of the system is working safely as per makers instructions.
for example a fully pumped heating system,with a back boiler/fire.on a sealed system.
the pump is mechanically seized and the overheat stat has tripped out.
you exchange the pump,reset overheat stat.
boiler is now operational.gas is burning.
would you do any other checks to ensure safety standards are per makers instructions ?.

your not bound to do any other job. you be called for a seized pump you get a seized pump changed.
many homes have more than one fault on the heating side be it electrics, badly installed tanks etc
you can only advice.

what do want a free boiler service and annual check done for the price of a pump change, you pay you will get.
theirs to many people try them little tricks
like can you relite the boiler, then cause you touched it they say you broke it. then you find out it's not been working for days.
been doing it to long to fall for the publics little tricks now.

I'd report you for not being registered. :D

I can't see how you can possibly comply with the GSIU regs if your not rgi.

I said I refer all boiler work to a registered installer. I wanted to know where I stood with components like pumps, flow switches, pressure sensors, etc.

It isn't just the Corrupt Organisatin for Ripping off RGI's, it does say in GSIUR that you can't do any WORK at all on a gas appliance.

"work" in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not, that is to say -
(a) installing or re-connecting the fitting;

(b) maintaining, servicing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas;

(c) where the fitting is not readily movable, changing its position; and

(d) removing the fitting;
but the expression does not include the connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing connector.

It says elsewhere that "fittings" includes appliances.
Here we are:
"gas fittings" means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used (other than the purpose of an industrial process carried out on industrial premises)

Duty on employer
4. Where an employer or a self-employed person requires any work in relation to a gas fitting to be carried out at any place of work under his control or where an employer or self-employed person has control to any extent of work in relation to a gas fitting, he shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the person undertaking that work is, or is employed by, a member of a class of persons approved by the Health and Safety Executive under regulation 3(3) above.

Paradoxically, Corgi themselves vary in their advice. If you ask if you can change a pump in a combi, they'll usually say Yes, but it depends.
Best advice I can give is to ask them by email - and ask for justification if they say you can do SOME "Work".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back