Breakfast Cereals

Well, both really, but cutting down my sugar intake is my primary concern.

Sponsored Links
Well, both really, but cutting down my sugar intake is my primary concern.
worth keeping in mind
"low sugar" options will often replace with fat and visa versa
alcohol will have a large sugar/carbohydrate content that they don't have to declare
in general if it tastes really nice it a 50/50 fat/sugar combination
in my opinion its the processed sugars that are the danger as they are easily absorbed with little effort from your body

Watch very carefully the ingredients of anything I buy. I try to eat no ready meals, as these tend to be high in fat, salt and sugar. Many years ago, I ate a pasta ready meal and afterwards was horrified to learn that it contained 6g of salt!

And you're right: sugar and fat are both flavour-carriers. Remove one and it is usually replaced with the other, else the flavour of the food suffers.

Sponsored Links
Skip breakfast and burn the glycogen stored. Improve you IGF and cholesterol.

So many people still think it’s important to eat a “healthy/hearty” breakfast.

Skip breakfast and burn the glycogen stored. Improve you IGF and cholesterol.

So many people still think it’s important to eat a “healthy/hearty” breakfast.

I would find with no breakfast my blood sugar would drop and encourage me to snack.

i never have breakfast but have home made soup around 90-120 mins after i get up
150-200g cooking bacon cup and a half lentils 2 large carrots one large leek 2 large onions herbs and spices one stock cube in 3 litres one level teaspoon off oil or less to fry the onions and leeks no other fats[bacon fat removed]no salts other than the bacon and stock cube no sugar cream or dairy

Does anyone else find skipping breakfast leaves you less hungry? If I have breakfast I'm peckish again around 10-11 ish, if I skip it I can go till evening without feeling the need to eat.
Yep, exactly the same for me, always hungry shortly after brekkie. Not eaten a regular brekkie since I was a school kid and decided an extra 20 mins in bed was much nicer :)

I normally eat a banana about 2pm as I can get a bit of a headache if I wait until dinner.

Does anyone else find skipping breakfast leaves you less hungry? If I have breakfast I'm peckish again around 10-11 ish, if I skip it I can go till evening without feeling the need to eat.
Isn't that rebound from a sugar high?

Try a bowl of porage without sugar.

I used to have marmite on toast, still made me hungry later. Would have 4 or 5 cups of tea before work every day, no sugar in it, & still didn't feel hungry if I missed breakfast.

marmite is around 11% salt

Slow release carbs (low GI) are generally better, but generally the feeling of "hunger" we feel after 3 or 4 hours from a meal is actually as a result of a blood sugar drop (see johnD's link), which triggers glucagon production (a hormone that sends a signal to the brain to start looking for food). Its much harder for the brain to resist glucagon than proper hunger (glycogen depletion/fat burning), which actually makes you feel alert and full of energy.

Endurance athletes often train in a glycogen depleted state to improve the efficiency of their fat burning process. I've done it myself and it really does work.

Today, all I will eat for example is 2 desert spoons of porridge made with water before going to the gym tonight. I wont really feel hungry.

Hunger is also partly based on memory, i.e. when did you last eat, and what did you eat.
You can easily override or retrain that part of the hunger causation.

Sponsored Links
Back