Bye Shammina ...

I'm not talking about democracy or lawless dictatorships, I'm talking about the primary objective of all governments being to protect their citizens from harm.

America doesn't care about harming its citizens.

It allows free access to guns, it allows its people to become hooked on opioids and it has almost 1% of its population in jail.

Guantanamo is about revenge not protection.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The Supreme Court has ruled she can't come back to UK to fight her citizenship case.

It hasn't ruled she can't come back.

It is illegal to make a person stateless.
The Supreme Court has ruled she can't come back to UK to fight her citizenship case. for now
Correct. The court has ruled that she can fight her case, if there is a way for her to fight it. But she cannot return to UK to do so. And she cannot leave the camp to do so, because without any citizenship, there is nowhere for her to go.
But the refugees camp will not allow access for her lawyers, and the court does not provide a means for her to fight her case. So she is effectively denied the opportunity to present her case.
Lord Reed said the appropriate answer was not to force the government to bring Ms Begum back to the UK - but to pause her legal fight over citizenship until she is in a safer position to take part in her appeal.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56209007
In addition, the court does not, and cannot overrule the assessment of the government, about whether she is a risk to national security, because they cannot see the information that the government has. Unless there is overwhelming evidence to refute the government's assessment, and that cannot be presented because SB is denied the opportunity to do so.
Moreover, the government's assessed risk is limited to general statements such as, "she has aligned herself to ISIS." There has been no credible threat mentioned by the government as to the risk posed by SB.

Surely is the SC have ruled that Begum can not return to the UK to fight her citizenship dispute, then that (by default) means she can't return period - i.e. the same rule will apply
It's a legal limbo.
She can't return to fight her case. See preceding comments, means she can't fight her case.
If she could, and she won her case, or UK government lost, which is a more appropriate description, she would retain her citizenship and could return.

It all rather indicates that the government would lose, and therefore desperately want to avoid such a case in court.

The Supreme Court has ruled she can't come back to UK to fight her citizenship case. for now
Correct. The court has ruled that she can fight her case, if there is a way for her to fight it. But she cannot return to UK to do so. And she cannot leave the camp to do so, because without any citizenship, there is nowhere for her to go.
But the refugees camp will not allow access for her lawyers, and the court does not provide a means for her to fight her case. So she is effectively denied the opportunity to present her case.
Lord Reed said the appropriate answer was not to force the government to bring Ms Begum back to the UK - but to pause her legal fight over citizenship until she is in a safer position to take part in her appeal.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56209007
In addition, the court does not, and cannot overrule the assessment of the government, about whether she is a risk to national security, because they cannot see the information that the government has. Unless there is overwhelming evidence to refute the government's assessment, and that cannot be presented because SB is denied the opportunity to do so.
Moreover, the government's assessed risk is limited to general statements such as, "she has aligned herself to ISIS." There has been no credible threat mentioned by the government as to the risk posed by SB.
Is life so boring in France?You are not a great Ad for it .

The Shamima case is not really about her but the wider issue of citizenship deprivation.

There have been 373 cases since 2006, the Begum case is the most media worthy.

Interestingly, International law does not prohibit the deprivation of citizenship. There is not a justiciable right to a citizenship, nor a general prohibition on citizenship deprivation even where it leads to statelessness.
There have been more than 373 cases since 2006, but the UK government refuse to release the data for the last couple of years.
Arbitrary creation of statelessness is prohibited.

“Arbitrary deprivation of nationality”, which means deliberately moving to make a citizen stateless, is prohibited under these instruments.​

The UK government Home Secretary arbitrarily deprived SB of her citizenship, which rendered her stateless. He did so on the basis that she is entitled to another citizenship of another country That country has denied her successful application, if she ever applied. The UNHCR convention allows states to refuse an application for citizenship. Therefore there is no obligation for any other state to grant SB citizenship.

Furthermore, the same UNHCR convention states that procedures must be accessible. In the SB case, she is effectively being denied, access to UK procedures. The UK Supreme Court has set a dangerous precedent in denying access to procedures.
(2) Access to procedures 68. For procedures to be fair and efficient, access to them must be ensured.​
and
(3) Procedural guarantees 71. Statelessness determination procedures should be formalized in law. Establishing procedures through legislation ensures fairness, transparency and clarity. Procedural guarantees are fundamental elements of statelessness determination procedures.
https://www.unhcr.org/dach/wp-conte...ndbook-on-Protection-of-Stateless-Persons.pdf

How is your comment remotely relevant to the thread subject?
You have a peculiar habit of making completely irrelevant comments in most threads.
Sort yourself out.
If you want to discuss 'Living in France', start a new thread. But there are already many social media sites dedicated to that very subject. :rolleyes:

There's no evidence the prisoners in it are actually terrorists
If there is no evidence that they are actually terrorists, why lock them up in the first place.
I agree that on occasion they lock up the wrong people.
Every case should be judged on its own merits.

Let me spin that around and say the poster to whom you refer is clearly anti UK. A fact proven by several anti UK posts in various usernames in various threads therefore best just to ignore as I now do.

It's more likely it has increased terrorist acts
The main reason for the increased threat from Islamic terrorism is because the Western nations and America in particular have fanned the flames of Islamic fundamentalism for their own geopolitical ends.
The virus of fundamentalism has now spread across the globe and those countries that helped create it are fighting a battle to contain it.

Let me spin that around and say the poster to whom you refer is clearly anti UK. A fact proven by several anti UK posts in various usernames in various threads therefore best just to ignore as I now do.
Spin it whichever way you want, it's still irrelevant nonsense.

Do you criticise UK government policies, or the opposition? Does that make you anti-UK?
Or is it because I live in France you consider I'm anti-UK? Or because I criticise UK government policies and decisions that you think I'm anti-UK?
Just what is it that gives rise to your suspicion that I am anti-UK? You may refer to any of my posts to illustrate your opinion.

And you're not ignoring, as you've so obviously commented on my previous comments.

In interviews spanning more than a year, Ms Begum - who was stripped of British citizenship as a national security risk - revealed that she was fed detailed instructions by IS members, but also undertook her own planning for the journey in 2015.

Giving her first full account of her flight to Syria, she told the BBC podcast The Shamima Begum Story that she had been "relieved" to make it out of the UK and said that when she left, she expected never to return.

@BBCnews

Her defence of being trafficked appears to be undermined with these interviews. Silly girl.

Sponsored Links
Back