Do you want people to be able to smoke in pubs?

Do you want people to be able to smoke in pubs?

• Yes (I smoke).

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • No (I smoke).

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Yes (I don't smoke).

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • No (I don't smoke).

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sponsored Links
ban pubs, ban drink, ban going out, ban people , ban week ends, ban shi##, ban guns, ,ban wars, ban ban's , ban rap, ban jazz,ban blues, kill fag smokers :LOL:

I knew I'd seen this somewhere and I remember reading similar reports about New York and Norway a few years back. The pro smoking lobby argue that that attributing the fall to the smoking ban is statistically unreliable, but funnily enough the same thing seems to happen wherever a ban is introduced.

From The Sunday TimesJune 15, 2008

Heart attack admissions fall by up to 40% since smoking ban Will Pavia
The number of heart attack patients being admitted to emergency wards has fallen sharply in more than half of England’s hospital trusts since smoking was banned in public places.

The figures, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, are an early indication of the impact of the smoking ban on heart disease rates in England. Some hospitals have seen the number of cases fall by 41 per cent since last July.

The British Heart Foundation said that it showed the ban was the “most significant public health initiative this century”.

Studies in Scotland and Ireland, which introduced a public-smoking ban in 2006, showed hospital admissions for heart attacks falling by 17 and 14 per cent respectively. Comparable evidence has come from France and Italy.

These drops in the rate of heart attacks have been attributed to a large number of people stopping smoking, and far fewer people being exposed to airborne toxins through passive smoking.

The Government has not yet published figures documenting the effects of the ban in England. But NHS records show that there were 1,384 fewer heart attacks in the nine months after the legislation was introduced than in the same period a year earlier.

The figures, obtained by the Daily Mail, show admissions for heart attacks from 114 trusts: 66 saw a drop in admissions compared with the same period the year before. The most striking figures came from Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust, where there was a 41 per cent fall, or 418 fewer cases.

In the remaining 48 trusts, the number of admissions remained the same or increased slightly.

The Department of Health welcomed the figures as “good news” but added that it was too early to attribute falls in heart attack rates to the new legislation.

Rates of heart disease were falling before smoking in public was banned in European countries, and various factors, including mild weather, can contribute to a fall. Nevertheless, the health benefits of stopping smoking are well established. A year after a person quits smoking, the risk of a heart attack falls to half that of a smoker.

Nicholas Boon, of the British Cardiovascular Society, said: “When you place these figures with the research in Scotland, Ireland, France and Rome, it is consistent with the observation that the ban has been followed by improvements in heart attack rates.”

Sponsored Links
I gotta say, even though I'm a smoker and I voted no, I don't actually go out to my local regularly.

We're normally only out say once a month - and then it's a town centre/night club night out. That's why it doesn't bother me all that much.

I think if I was going out regularly, I'd soon get pretty fed up having to go outside every time I wanted a fag. The biggest problems are if it's raining, you get soaked (unless you find some nice guy that'll share his jacket with you!!) and you smoke two fags in quick succession cos you don't know when you'll get back outside.

And the club we go to - I'm pretty sure there's a health and safety issue there - having to go down two huge flights of metal staircase (I think it's the fire exit) when one is slightly intoxicated! And the getting back up ain't easy either!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In fairness, I think the ban could have been better planned. I certainly agree with it in restaurants or anywhere food is served or children are allowed but pubs and night clubs is a bit different.

To be fair Alison why should it only be different for Food and Children,Adults want to enjoy themselves without health issues.

Oh I know - what I was meaning was that there could have been a bit more thought put into how the ban worked - as it stands now, you have dozens of people standing outside the doors of pubs and clubs and that in itself could be a bit intimidating.

The idea of a "smoking room" in a building sounds OK (whether it would work or not I don't know) but there would have to be helluva big extractor fans.

As I said, even though I smoke, it doesn't bother me having to go outside. I don't smoke much on a night out anyway - gets in the way of me drink!

I do feel sorry for the old boys that go to their local though.

I voted 'no' but don't go to pubs. I'm concerned about the health of the nation.

I voted 'no' but don't go to pubs. I'm concerned about the health of the nation.

are you ****!

i drink in my 2 locals a fair bit and most of the dregs agree its been ok after the initial shock, lets face it most of the people now keeping the pub trade alive can't remember when you could smoke in the bar.

one of my locals is a thriving bar that will never die, the day after the holocaust the usual suspects will be knocking the door down for a pint. my other local is dying on its arse, but thats mainly to do with the competition and a management hell bent on driving it into the ground. i only go there cos a good mate is welded to a barstool there, the staff are fantatastic and i get a massive discount through my hooky student card.

i'm a 30 a day 16 year ex-smoker who stopped on the day of the ban as i thought it might get me off them, it worked. :D

Banning smoking in pubs, clubs and restaurants is one of the best things to have happened in recent times and long overdue.

It will never be repealed so smokers should stop bleating and move on.

There are always choices in life:

1. Keep on smoking out in the rain and die before your time.

2. Give it up, spend the money on something else and live a longer happier life.

Difficult decision :rolleyes:

Banning smoking in pubs, clubs and restaurants is one of the best things to have happened in recent times and long overdue.

It will never be repealed so smokers should stop bleating and move on.

There are always choices in life:

1. Keep on smoking out in the rain and die before your time.

2. Give it up, spend the money on something else and live a longer happier life.

Difficult decision :rolleyes:

Written by mega - a non-smoker who can't tolerate any other opinion other than his own. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, written by me who is happy not to have my life cut short by the stupid decisions made by others.

Why are you still fixated on MW did he really beat you up that much?

No, written by me who is happy not to have my life cut short by the stupid decisions made by others.

Why are you still fixated on MW did he really beat you up that much?

Hi mega

Sponsored Links
Back