Is that you johnd response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can black people swim? You never see many in the olympics.[

I don't think that is racist. I've often wondered why. Such brilliant runners and boxers. Why not swimmers.[/QUOTE]

Often, it's not the intent of something that is said, just the way something is said. Maybe you don't intend it to be a racist question, but "Can black people swim?" is racist. Backing it up or justifying with a compliment about boxing and running doesn't negate the prior racist remark. If a child asked this question, they could be forgiven and it can be explained that the colour of someones skin has no bearing on any skills or talents they have. As an adult, you've already learned this so to then ask the question is rhetorical - being as it's a question to which you already know the answer (the answer is yes).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to start blowing smoke up Himaggin's arse, but he has correctly identified a racist remark.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
If a child asked this question, they could be forgiven and it can be explained that the colour of someones skin has no bearing on any skills or talents they have.
Wrong there are physiological reasons why black people can't swim as well as white people, and there are physiological reasons I believe why some can run faster. Making the question posed a fair one as it was obviously referring to people swimming at an olympic level.
If you don't agree with that explain why you never see black swimmers doing well at the olympics.

I used to laugh like hell at Bernard Manning and Chubby Brown too, and I loved Benny Hill. Shoot me now. :LOL::LOL:

Sponsored Links
Still waiting for you to repost those screenshots of yours himaggin. You haven't mislaid them have you? After saving them for all this time. :LOL:

Any individual incident of spuey's racism, if taken in isolation, could be 'explained' even excused as naive ignorance.
But the whole raft of incidents, (three identified in the deleted thread, along with the Nuke comment and the five mentioned in this thread) not to mention those that have been deleted, indicate without doubt, the racist attitude and behaviour of spuey.
There's more that I haven't bothered with yet.

I think no more proof is needed.
Despite the insults, the trolling, the posturing of spuey, he is racist.

If a child asked this question, they could be forgiven and it can be explained that the colour of someones skin has no bearing on any skills or talents they have.
Wrong there are physiological reasons why black people can't swim as well as white people, and there are physiological reasons I believe why some can run faster. Making the question posed a fair one as it was obviously referring to people swimming at an olympic level.
If you don't agree with that explain why you never see black swimmers doing well at the olympics.

I'll put my answer firmly in the area of economics. Sport is funded by government and sponsors, and the sports at which people excel at attract the most funding and thus youth who go on to claim medals. It's also partly down to infrastructure, the tail of the Cool Runnings movie where they didn't have the proper icey slope to practice on I think reflects the reality of have the right talent and coaches in the right place at the right time. The top Tobogganing coaches are unlikely to find the high paying work in Nigeria.

Nozzle

African-Americans have been shut out of swimming pools for generations
Swimming pools have been a racially sensitive flashpoint in the US for generations. African-American people were often denied access to pools in the segregation era, and even after its abolition white people found other ways to exclude them. Nor has building pools for black areas been a priority.

Jeff Wiltse, in his book Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in America, argues that white anxieties over contact with black people fuelled this historic lack of integration at US swimming pools.

Parents who do not swim are often unlikely to teach their children, and the legacy today is that a disproportionate number of African-American children cannot swim - USA Swimming puts the figure at 70%................
The crude stereotype, that black people are less buoyant than white people, has been debunked, but it remains the case that certain sports are seen as the preserve of particular races.

Such perceptions are deeply culturally ingrained, but pioneers like Manuel can help shift them.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37057236

Theories for low black American swimming rates
  • Propagation of incorrect scientific theories such as black people being much less buoyant
  • Historic factors going as far back as slaves not being allowed to learn to swim
  • Denial of access to pools in 1920s and 30s causing ripple effect to present day
  • Lack of municipal pools in predominantly black neighbourhoods in 1960s onwards
  • Perception of swimming as elitist or white sport
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054

Jamaica had a toboggan team at the winter Olympics a couple of times in the past afaik.

Black or Afro American swimmers at the Olympics I believe she won a gold medal ??

Lots of immigrants (I believe too many)come to this country to work, and work hard for their money, and pay tax on it. Can you say the same for the average gypsy

Well CAN you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back