1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this normal Electrical hazard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anobium, 5 Aug 2020.

  1. anobium

    anobium

    Joined:
    5 Dec 2004
    Messages:
    1,284
    Thanks Received:
    16
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    How about this, my wife just finished the ironing and pulled the plug from the socket. Instead of the plug coming out , just the front came off exposing all the wires in the plug. In the course of pulling the plug out she must have touched the live wires and received an electrical shock. Fortunately the circuit breaker came into operation or it could have been much worse. On examination of the plug I found that the gubbins which holds the central screw in place had become dislodged. You will see what I mean by looking at the pic. For the record the plug was attached to the iron when we bought it. I have informed the company who makes the irons but as usual just received an automatic response. I would expect them to react much quicker as others may not be so lucky. What do you think. Oh yes my wife is fine just a bit shook up.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Sponsored Links
  3. conny

    conny

    Joined:
    30 Jun 2008
    Messages:
    12,495
    Thanks Received:
    531
    Location:
    Suffolk
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Glad your wife is ok but if she feels any kind of 'funny' later on then get her to hospital quickly. Sometimes electric shocks can have delayed effects.

    That is not good. How old is the iron? If it's a fairly new one they should be putting out a recall notice as soon as possible. I have had it happen to old plugs that haven't been tightened up properly by someone but was fortunate not get a shock.
     
  4. anobium

    anobium

    Joined:
    5 Dec 2004
    Messages:
    1,284
    Thanks Received:
    16
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Conny I didn't realise about the delayed reaction but I will keep an eye on her, but as she was an SRN they tend to take things in there stride.
    The iron is only about 6 months old.
     
  5. ^woody^

    ^woody^

    Joined:
    3 Sep 2006
    Messages:
    29,324
    Thanks Received:
    3,787
    Location:
    West Mids
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Shocking
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  6. EFLImpudence

    EFLImpudence

    Joined:
    7 Jul 2010
    Messages:
    33,167
    Thanks Received:
    3,607
    Location:
    Retired to:
    Country:
    Portugal
    You shouldn't get that kind of plug on a six month old appliance - it should be a moulded one.

    Did you buy it from a reputable place?
     
    • Like Like x 1
  7. crystal ball

    crystal ball

    Joined:
    28 Apr 2004
    Messages:
    3,008
    Thanks Received:
    175
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    See them all the time especially on table lamps for some reason
     
  8. anobium

    anobium

    Joined:
    5 Dec 2004
    Messages:
    1,284
    Thanks Received:
    16
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Good point, I thought all new products came with moulded plugs. I certainly did not put this plug on and if you look closely you will see that it looks like it was factory fitted. I have checked on the Internet regarding this particular iron and nowhere does it mention a moulded plug. It mentions amongst many things a 3 metre cord but no moulded plug. We can't recall were we bought it but it was either Sainsburys of Asda.
     
  9. bennymultifinish

    bennymultifinish

    Joined:
    21 Apr 2020
    Messages:
    1,630
    Thanks Received:
    264
    Country:
    United Kingdom

    no moulded plug. :eek:
    shocker bzzzt
     
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. trazor

    trazor

    Joined:
    20 Jan 2007
    Messages:
    3,752
    Thanks Received:
    90
    Location:
    Warwickshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Surely nowadays, all sockets should be switched.

    [​IMG]
     

    Attached Files:

  12. IT Minion

    IT Minion

    Joined:
    28 Jul 2018
    Messages:
    1,956
    Thanks Received:
    133
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Others might be better about it but I don't always turn sockets off before I pull a plug out. Perhaps I should.
     
  13. EFLImpudence

    EFLImpudence

    Joined:
    7 Jul 2010
    Messages:
    33,167
    Thanks Received:
    3,607
    Location:
    Retired to:
    Country:
    Portugal
    No. No such rule.
     
  14. anobium

    anobium

    Joined:
    5 Dec 2004
    Messages:
    1,284
    Thanks Received:
    16
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    And your point being! For the record our plug was a switched one and yes with hindsight it should have been switched off before removing the plug. 6 months ago the same plug was not a switched one and it was only changed due to a kitchen refurb. Many people are not fortunate enough to be able to have a rewire. It's up to the companies who supply these goods to cover every eventuality.
     
  15. EFLImpudence

    EFLImpudence

    Joined:
    7 Jul 2010
    Messages:
    33,167
    Thanks Received:
    3,607
    Location:
    Retired to:
    Country:
    Portugal
    Obviously so did I - maybe not.
     
  16. anobium

    anobium

    Joined:
    5 Dec 2004
    Messages:
    1,284
    Thanks Received:
    16
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    We were obviously not the only one, the company knew about this at least 1 year ago
     
  17. trazor

    trazor

    Joined:
    20 Jan 2007
    Messages:
    3,752
    Thanks Received:
    90
    Location:
    Warwickshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I agree there is no such rule, but common sense should rule.
     
Loading...

Share This Page