London cyclists dropping like flies

Sponsored Links
I saw a kid tonight, cycling across a really busy junction near me - he looked about ten years old. He had all the gear on - high vis jacket, helmet, flashing lights. I used to cycle on the roads all the time when I was young but I wouldn't fancy it now.

5482831-large.jpg

what's that green thing?

At 3MPG it's not the bus anyway. :LOL:

You would be a fool to venture out on a push bike or motorbike without thinking you are at serious risk....I do every time I go out on either.....you take your chances.

Bus drivers like any other "professional" driver suffer from the same illnesses as other drivers but far more acute.....laziness, complacency and a real feeling of just being a better driver simply because of mileage. "Professional" drivers are almost always the worst.

I don't live anywhere near London and clearly much will change area to area but where I live we still have problems with pedal cycles.

The cycle bus has been removed so using a cycle to complete or start a journey is out we have to cycle all the way even if part of the route is really not suitable.

Cycle tracks are increasing but the gaps between them are really dangerous again although most of the journey may be on motor free routes this just means more cycles in dangerous bit.

Buses stop running at around 6pm so at night often cycle is the only way. And at night the cycle is far more likely to be missed.

Taxi is cheaper than bus which just shows how expensive the bus is. This also means people with low income are forced to cycle.

Cycle tracks are combined with foot paths and although a child doing 8 MPH on a cycle on a foot path is not a problem forcing the enthusiast to cycle on foot paths at likely 20MPH plus is just not safe.

Overgrown trees often force cycles to take to the road to avoid them again causing conflict with road users who like the cyclist will have not seen the bush until last minute.

Crossing often have the cyclist at traffic lights with no indication as when safe to cross. The point where cyclist wait is in front of the lights.

Special cycle tracks have barriers stopping many from using them. The trailer for my grandson will not fit between the posts placed to stop motor cycles however they don't stop the motor cycles. The same applies to disability scooters, wheel chairs and horses the restrictions mean those who should be able to use the motor traffic free routes are barred from using them.

I was not amused as having to dismantle my dads mobility scooter and re-build other side of bars. With my mother with one leg I have had to return. Try getting tandem through these restrictions is also a problem.

I have seen cyclist on routes where they are barred but since they can't use the cycle routes due to silly bars not really a surprise.

I even came across these silly restrictions on the canal tow path which is designed for horses and the narrow boat being horse drawn had to cut away the restriction with an angle grinder before they could continue.

So where I live to reduce cycle accidents
1) Place no restrictions stopping bikes from using cycle ways.
2) Run buses to reasonable time so not forced to use bike.
3) Replace cycle racks on rear of buses.
4) Have sensible bus prices I would say a bus should cost half what it costs by taxi.
5) Maintain cycle tracks free from bushes over growing.
6) Don't have dropped pavements on cycle ways. There is a cycle way on way into Chester no one in right mind would use it is really a switch back with so many dropped areas for car access.

Clearly this may be different in London.

Sponsored Links
At 3MPG it's not the bus anyway.
except, of course, that a car with one person might be doing 15mpg with one person on board

A bus with more than 5 people on board is equal in person miles per gall

A bus with 10, 20, 30, 40 people on board is far better

I don't know who is at fault in this particular case. Time will tell, I'm sure.

I do know that I see both idiot motorists and idiot cyclists on the roads around here. Roads are dangerous places and, with so many idiots at liberty, I wouldn't dream of riding a bicycle on them.

As for the suggestion of creating more cycle ways, how about creating more roads? I've seen so many traffic jams, but never once have I seen a bicycle jam!

Perhaps it's time to ban cyclists from city roads, for their own good.
As for creating more cycle lanes, that usually results in two lane roads becoming single lane roads, all snarled up in the rush hour. Usually while the painted on cycle lane is sitting empty.

That will encourage more people to ride a bike. With a couple more million Bulgarians driving around then the car isn't the answer. The roads need replacing with cycleways. Only those of us that carry ladders and tools need to use the roads. Not dopey office workers. They can bike, bus or walk.

At 3MPG it's not the bus anyway.
except, of course, that a car with one person might be doing 15mpg with one person on board

A bus with more than 5 people on board is equal in person miles per gall

A bus with 10, 20, 30, 40 people on board is far better

That's assuming they do have people on board. Don't forget a bus is still making the journey no matter how many people are on board 0 or 100. At least the car only makes a journey with someone in it.

A car might do 40 MPG with one person....a bus might do 1MPG with 50 in it.

I doubt either of us are going to give accurate figures. :)

dont think in this case any kind of safety equipment being worn wouldve saved this person.

a bus running over you,your going to be messed up thats for sure.

sympathies to the family.

the pic clearly has a cycle lane,why wasnt it used?

personally if there are provisions of a dedicated lane then cycles should not be allowed on the roads.

as for the peeps saying ban cars,how deluded are you??the poor motorist is taxed to the hilt to the tune of around 7 billion a year.so where does the government now get the money from?.
bear in mind all of the taxes help to pay for the railways,buses and cycle ways and now you want to ban the cars.CLEVER VERY CLEVER. :eek:

Perhaps it's time to ban cyclists from city roads, for their own good.
As for creating more cycle lanes, that usually results in two lane roads becoming single lane roads, all snarled up in the rush hour. Usually while the painted on cycle lane is sitting empty.

Around our way there is a dual carriageway which is really busy all day long and there are cyclists that use it causing traffic problems especially at rush hour ..now to give these guys room you have to go in the other lane and I have seen quite a few near misses... but I KNOW for a fact with the dark nights coming in there will be a fatality ..the cyclists are taking a massive chance but the only other option is to use the footpath which is illegal ..as you say I think they should be banned from these roads for their own safety

dont think in this case any kind of safety equipment being worn wouldve saved this person.

a bus running over you,your going to be messed up thats for sure.

sympathies to the family.

the pic clearly has a cycle lane,why wasnt it used?

personally if there are provisions of a dedicated lane then cycles should not be allowed on the roads.

as for the peeps saying ban cars,how deluded are you??the poor motorist is taxed to the hilt to the tune of around 7 billion a year.so where does the government now get the money from?.
bear in mind all of the taxes help to pay for the railways,buses and cycle ways and now you want to ban the cars.CLEVER VERY CLEVER. :eek:

Looking at the pic it looks to me as if the accident has happened after the cycle lane ..the cyclist may have left the cycle lane and gone to cross the rd

Sponsored Links
Back